Question Dolby Atmos with a TV without eArc port

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
Hello all,
I have a 2017 65' Samsung TV, which I'm quite happy with. It doesn't have an eArc port.

Now I would like to be able to watch 4k BluRay with Atmos sound. Key requirement is wireless speakers.

I am completely lost at what should I buy.

Initially I thought about Panasonic 9000 plus Sonos Arc. Looks like that won't work through, since the TV needs the eArc.

Can anyone recommend what should I get? I don't mind getting a receiver, a good player or else - just can't get my head around to what I need!

Big thanks!

Last edited:

Messiah

When you say you need wireless speakers can you elaborate on that a bit more? Are there restrictions on using traditional wired speakers? Even wireless speakers will need a power supply cable.

With the Panasonic / Sonus combo it does give the option to run audio from the BD player to the Sounus direct and run picture from the BD player to the TV direct. May not be the most convenient option if you want to use the TV with the Sonus as well.

With regards to Dolby Atmos, as far as I am aware (so could be wrong) most streaming sites utilise the compressed Dolby Digital Plus codec to deliver Atmos and again, as far as I am aware, should only need ARC and not eARC.

If you can accommodate a receiver and wired speakers, this will give you the most flexibility and provide (what I will call) proper surround as you will be able to add actual speakers for surround effects.

Reactions: Minkey1

Juzzie Wuzzie

I run a Sonos Arc and use an HD Fury Arcana ... so you could probably do the same - BD Player into Arcana which splits video (to TV) and audio (to Arc).

But as Messiah says - are you sure you need e-Arc?

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
When you say you need wireless speakers can you elaborate on that a bit more? Are there restrictions on using traditional wired speakers? Even wireless speakers will need a power supply cable.

With the Panasonic / Sonus combo it does give the option to run audio from the BD player to the Sounus direct and run picture from the BD player to the TV direct. May not be the most convenient option if you want to use the TV with the Sonus as well.

With regards to Dolby Atmos, as far as I am aware (so could be wrong) most streaming sites utilise the compressed Dolby Digital Plus codec to deliver Atmos and again, as far as I am aware, should only need ARC and not eARC.

If you can accommodate a receiver and wired speakers, this will give you the most flexibility and provide (what I will call) proper surround as you will be able to add actual speakers for surround effects.
Yes, there are unsurmountable restrictions on wired speakers. Called "wife".

I'm now thinking about Samsung hw-q990d, connected to Panasonic 9000. Should apparently give me True HD Atmos. I don't use any streaming platforms anyway, the only video source will be 4K Blu-rays

Reactions: Messiah

El Puerco Volante

Jul 31, 2024
Visit site
All right, at the end I've bought the 4K player Panasonic DP-UB820 and the Samsung HW-Q990D. The vendor assured me that I will get Atmos True HD in this way.

How I'm confused to to connect HW-Q990D with Samsung 65 TV (with Arc, but without eArc) and PS4 Pro

1) Connect Panasonic "Audio HDMI" to HW-Q990D HDMI. Audio from 4K BDs taken care of in Atmos True HD.
2) Connect Panasonic "Video HDMI" to Samsung 65 TV "HDMI". Video from 4K BDs taken care of. No need to use the "Arc HDMI" on TV, we'll need it for the point below.
3) Connect PS4 Pro "HDMI" to HW-Q990D "HDMI" and then connect HW-Q990D "HDMI TO TV" to Samsung 65 TV "Arc HDMI". The video from PS4 Pro is now on Samsung 65 TV and audio is on HW-Q990D

Is this correct and best way ?

Thanks a lot !

Last edited:

Messiah

As far as I am aware the 990D has 2 HDMI ports so unless you want to keep swapping cables around, I do not think point 3 will work.

Keep points 1 & 2.

For point 3 I would connect the PS4 to the TV (assuming it has at least 3 HDMI ports) and connect the TV to the 990D via the ARC port. This way you can utilise 990D for the PS4 AND regular TV if you choose too.

*EDIT* The 990D should pass through the 4K picture so you may only need to connect the BD player to it and not the TV.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts