Dolby Atmos 7.1

MrSpikie

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
I have just upgraded to a new Pioneer VSX-934 which supports Atmos and DTS-X. I feel I may have been a bit duped however...
I was looking at buying a pair of upfiring speakers, and so I looked up the speaker specks in the manual so I can tie in my current 7.1 speaker arrangement in my room, but I cannot see an ATMOS 7.1.2 in the manual, it only says ATMOS 7.1 or ATMOS 3.1.2
So what then is ATMOS 7.1? is this pretend boulderdash virtual ATMOS...and have I just wasted my money on this new amp?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Temp.JPG
    Temp.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 11

abacus

If you want 7.1.2 you need 9 channels of amplification, the VSX-934 only has 7 channels of amplification which means you have a choice of 7.1, 5.1.2 or 5.1 and Zone 2, which is the same for all receivers with only 7 channels of amplification built in, however some 7 channel receivers also have pre-amp outputs (You r Pioneer doesn't) which means you can add an additional amp(s) for the extra channels.

You have not been duped, you have just misunderstood the capabilities of your receiver, (A dealer should have pointed this out to you) however as it is not suitable for your purpose (Assuming its new) you can send it back and get one that suits your requirements. (9 channels of inbuilt amplification for 7.1.2)

Bill

MrSpikie

Dec 7, 2019
Visit site
It is confusing as the manual shows you how to set up a 5.1.2 speaker system.

Bill
Thanks Bill,
Yes I'am a little confused over this whole ordeal now. That page didn't list 5.1.2 yet 2 other pages did, anyways, still not what I was after, will just have top see if I can take it back and swap over for bigger and better.

I'am a little annoyed that I thought a 7.2 ch receiver would have provided Atmos for a 7.1 scenario as they plaster that in their receiver title along with Atmos. I feel that this is a tiny bit deceptive in their methodology.
It is only now that I am learning that I need a 9.2 ch which sometimes equates to Atmos 7.1.2.
And not all 9.2 ch are created equal either...pioneer has another 9.2 which can only do Atmos 5.1.2.

So at the end of the day has been a steep and harsh learning curve on Atmos.
I have learnt not to go by just the specs on the sales pitch/websites, but you need to download the manuals and check in there first before you buy.

Attachments

• Temp.JPG
    Temp.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2
  • Temp2.JPG
    Temp2.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts