Does your family get a say in hifi purchases?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Given factors like how much a good hifi (or AV) system can dent a family budget, and how much space it can take up, and the visual impact on what is (often) the main living or family room, how many of you would let the rest of the family take (or influence) major decisions in the choice of equipment?

What if your family vetoed your choice of speakers or questioned the addition of yet another set of PSUs or whatever?

I am assuming most of us here have some combination of Husband/Wife/BF/GF/kids/significant others etc etc. And I am also assuming most of these domestic set-ups are reasonably democratic when it comes to other domestic buying decisions (cars, computers, hifis, large furniture, house alterations and so on) so does this 'democracy' extend to the hifi?

I have heeded the consensus of family opinion a few times this year and kept the cost (and space) of the hifi down by buying an Arcam Solo-Mini instead of seperates and bought relatively compact speakers with veneer to match bookshelves, desk and coffee table and altered my turntable plans to a Rega P2/Bias2 instead of something costing £400 more in order to buy a new fridge/freezer.

Are you democrat or autocrat?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
She can moan as much as she like...all I have to do is turn the volume up a notch
emotion-5.gif

I have sold some speakers that I would love to keep on due to either they were wrong colour or too big (my current pair is beautiful I have been told
emotion-3.gif
emotion-21.gif
) but as for amps and cd players?... well... as long as she keep buying them bloody shoes and hand bags, I will keep buying HiFi!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I do worry - from many threads on this Forum - that some of you (obviously not Thaiman!) compromise too readily and too far
emotion-14.gif

I hope you're all as harsh on your families with their choice of expenditure....

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:
I do worry - from many threads on this Forum - that some of you (obviously not Thaiman!) compromise too readily and too far
emotion-14.gif

I hope you're all as harsh on your families with their choice of expenditure....

This is easy for you to say, having a partner who does not consider silence preferable to any music or film.

A

Anonymous

When it comes to new boxes I just buy (pretty much). The only compromise was on the speakers. Instead of Spendor SA1s I would have bought PMC GB1i instead but given the space we have and the appearance of floor standers this wasn't an option. If we manage to sell our house then my eye is on a lounge suitable for FB1i

Personally I think that if the expenditure affects other people I should get their input. Visa-versa too!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:
emotion-14.gif

This is easy for you to say, having a partner who does not consider silence preferable to any music or film.

I tend to screen for these traits before selection
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Well, you do have to compromise a bit. But over the years I've found that my wife has generally been resistant to spending (loads of) money on AV or HiFi separates, etc. ("Why do we need this, I don't want it to take over the room", etc), and yet, after a while, she really does appreciate what a good system can offer once it's up and running. Mind you, like a lot of guys I've probably been a little naughty - quietly bringing stuff in that I've bought, arranging auditions with our local dealer but not telling her until the last minute, buying Blu-Ray discs when I don't have a player or proper screen yet, all that kind of thing. So really I can understand why she gets a little exasperated at times! I guess I'm not the only one to have had this experience?

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:
emotion-14.gif

emotion-5.gif

sometimes the heart rules the head Clare :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It does continue to puzzle me how many women will condone - nay, encourage - expensive ornamental furniture/room 'dressing' that has no function whatsoever yet see expenditure on AV kit as 'wasted' money when it has the capacity to entertain and move you like no damn sculptured bauble can.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:My wife's Mulberry bag cost as much as the Neutrons. I got some swoons behind me in the queue in John Lewis when I bought it........

Are you sure it was the bag ?

Or were they heard to say..'Isn't that the front runner in the WHS&V Personality of the Year Award 2008 ?'

A

Anonymous

It never ceases to amaze me how society 'allows' television to be on in the lounge by default but hifi has to be by exception. At least, that's the way I see it happen. Hifi is a nuisance that gets some air time but then the TV is the immediate default when I'm done. Personally one of my compromises has been having a TV at all as if it was my house alone then I'd only have an ickle one in the kitchen.

A

Anonymous

To be absolutely fair my wife said just the other evening how much she likes our 42" Plasma. The only thing is I'd like to upgrade to an HD Ready or full HD 50" so I can play Blu-Ray though which worries her (more expense!!). Now Clare - any suggestions on how to persuade her that it's a really good idea??

A

Anonymous

Next time you're in JL make a swerve passed the handbags and shoes (JD) to the AV centre and (pre-arranged if req) let her see how great a BD pic is. T.Vs aren't that expensive now and I bet if you added up the price of various shoes & H bags...that rarely see the light of day..... i bet they cost more. If you get as far as price per usage figures she'll have to defer, for want of looking churlish !

A

Anonymous

No Chance!

My Mrs thinks ours only cost about 3k!

The day she discovers searching for equipment on the internet I'm DEAD!

A

Anonymous

BigGuads:No Chance!

My Mrs thinks ours only cost about 3k!

The day she discovers searching for equipment on the internet I'm DEAD!
Oh boy...

A

Anonymous

I know that feeling only too well! I've been busy reading the latest WHF top-end magazine at hone - excellent stuff by the way - I always detect a worried look from my wife ("what's he up to now...?")

A

Anonymous

My wife thought the whole subject was boring until I took her to see some B&W speakers at Cloney Audio in Dublin. This prompted her to see just how good floorstanding speakers could look and so she decided we would redecorate the whole front room. She approved my Atacama plasma & hi-fi stands and she also decided that the Monitor RS6's looked nicer than the B&W 683's but the fact that the Monitors were ?1k cheaper than the B&W's had a bigger influence on my purchase decision, TBH.

The only thing she wont let me have is a turntable... She is very happy with everything else I've bought though.

A

Anonymous

What I want to know though is why wives think it's so boring and unnecessary? What would they prefer instead?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:
emotion-14.gif

emotion-5.gif

I try to do this, but i think people lie... beforehand, they are happy to sit and listen to music while chatting away... after its a roll of the eyes, and music just isn't as interesting as the tv. :'(

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Collectus:What I want to know though is why wives think it's so boring and unnecessary? What would they prefer instead?

Possibly it is that women consider men are basically 'infantile' on some level and it all goes back to the "boys and their toys" phenomena.

Another hobby of mine is photography. (B&W landscapes especially) I have sold many framed prints of my work, had two successful exhibitions and photographed weddings for good money. At the beginning of my interest in photography I even studied for and passed a City & Guilds in my spare time, and yet I still suspect that my interest ranks as something she 'indulges', just as she would indulge our children when they used to be into various childish pursuits.

I think lot of women consider their own activities and interests as 'adult' and men's activites as 'childish' hobbies.

It is interesting how many people here admit to a degree of deception when it comes to hiding the cost of their hifi equipment. I think this re-inforces what I am saying about the psychology of men's interests vs women's interests. It is almost as if the guys here are worried about being 'found out' like a child.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts