Does This Exist?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

I am looking for a top notch all disc player (i.e. SACD and DVD Audio as well) with an INPUT to the DAC to enable me to use its (high quality natch) DAC to improve the quality of the music streaming from my HTPC (hi res FLAC files) and even better if there was a multiregion hack or mod. I can nearly find what I want but not quite.

Anybody found something they would care to suggest?

Graham

John Duncan

I'll have a dig for ones with a DAC input, but while you're waiting, have a look at the BD player in my signature, which has all you want except for the input, but will play files either on an accessible network drive or over DLNA.

A

Anonymous

Thanks John that was my plan B - still would love to have an Input though because of the growing number of files I have that I am currently playing through in J River Media Centre. Network stream would be nearly good enough but...

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if wrong, but aren't a lot of blu-ray discs already multiregion, even if they state a region on the case?

Can't find the link but there isn't there a website that gives all region details etc on all blu-rays, so you can check before buying.

A

Anonymous

Many Blue Ray discs are multiregion but (crucially for me) Criterion editions are not...still hoping to find something with an INPUT!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gandt10 said:
Many Blue Ray discs are multiregion but (crucially for me) Criterion editions are not...

This has always been a major factor for me. It's a shame we get the short straw outside of Region A. The other factor that is a modded player may lose its multi-region Blu-ray capability following firmware updates (I'm no expert here, so happy to be corrected on this point).

In the end I settled for admiring Criterion's efforts from afar, but it still bugs me. There's a list of titles I'd love to own that are either not released elsewhere or the Region 2 releases have second-rate sound and picture quality...

John Duncan

Graham, I think you're going to struggle. Have been through the obvious universal players and can't find one. I think you'll be stuck with DLNA, USB or network files. Alternatively, get a cheaper player and a DAC which will give you the extra inputs.

What's your exact HTPC/NAS setup?

A

Anonymous

John you are probably right. My setup is complex for audio I have a lyndorf tdai with room correction and Dali Helicon speakers - the the AV amp just supplies pre outs into the tdai. Other speakers are also DALI run from the AV amp. Although I have squeezeboxes only J RIver seems to reliably play hi res Flac files. The HTPC is running windows 7 and is an Xtreamer Ultra connected into the AV amp (a Yamaha) after different tests I use the hdmi connection which is good enough if the Yamaha is run in DIRECT mode. Ive been thinking about a DAC but my oppo 83 is dying so will need replacing - I was trying to kill two birds with one stone...

NAS for music is a Windows Home Server with 4 TB

strapped for cash said:
gandt10 said:
Many Blue Ray discs are multiregion but (crucially for me) Criterion editions are not...

The other factor that is a modded player may lose its multi-region Blu-ray capability following firmware updates (I'm no expert here, so happy to be corrected on this point).

Usually, it's possible to make a player multizone for blu rays (& multiregion for DVDs) by a hardware mod (like the link I posted above). Hardware modded players do not lose their blu ray multizone & DVD multiregion capability with firmware updates. If the player has been made multiregion for DVDs only without a hardware mod, there is a risk of the player losing its multiregion capability with firmware updates.

Having said that, my Panasonic player is still multiregion for DVDs despite few updates over the past 3 years.

Its extremely rare for a player to be made multizone for blu rays by a remote hack alone. So far, I've heard of just one such player (a budget Chinese player of an unknown brand) which could be made multizone this way.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
So far, I've heard of just one such player (a budget Chinese player of an unknown brand) which could be made multizone this way.

I've seen a few of these on ebay from time to time. However, with no clue as to how they perform I decided to give them a miss.

Also, excuse the illiteracy in my previous post! :oops:

A

Anonymous

OK so based on this Im thinking of getting the Pioneer BDP-LX55 as the main player which I can buy fully region modded for not too much money (399) and maybe a usb DAC around 400 -500 (my original budget for an uber player was c 1000) does this make sense given my needs above...anybody got opinions on the AUDIO quality of the Pioneer BDP-LX55?

gandt10 said:
OK so based on this Im thinking of getting the Pioneer BDP-LX55 as the main player which I can buy fully region modded for not too much money (399) and maybe a usb DAC around 400 -500 (my original budget for an uber player was c 1000) does this make sense given my needs above...anybody got opinions on the AUDIO quality of the Pioneer BDP-LX55?

To be honest, for that kind of money, I would go for this:

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/ecommerce/blu-ray-players/BDP-95EU.aspx

It's got a high quality DAC built-in.

Review here:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/bdp-95eu

I would add this to make it multiregion:

http://www.bluraychip.dk/

You can buy it fully modded for blu rays & DVDs from these places:

http://www.progressive-av.com/special_detail.asp?prod_id=752

http://www.ideal-av.co.uk/ItemPages/oppo-95.htm

A

Anonymous

Yes I'm aware of it (I currently have a multi region but failing Oppo 83) and thanks but the whole reason for the INPUT thing was to also improve the audio output of my HTPC and the hires FLAC files on my server that I play through J River Media Centre. The Oppo might let me play the files through the network and that might be a solution but the solution I have suggested would also let me get the "all disc" playback with the chance to improve the audio from things like the HTPC and other units like the SKY BOX provided the PIoneer is a good enough SACD player, if you see what I mean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts