Does the G series panasonic plasmas suffer the same issues as the V and VT?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all

I have been reading a bit into the issues people are reporting about the V and VT series plasmas

1, Being floating blacks when the black details goes lighter then darker that would drive me mad btw!

2, Being motion issues Max has mentioned this a lot on his thread I have seen others too they mentioned a double line effect on 50htz signal watching football matches say the half way line on pans gets repeated lines which i guess is similar to smearing on motion on LCDS I have owned and seen!!!

3, Being Colour banding

4, Being Posterization (i think that is correct)

I just would like to know if the G series is effected by these issues and on the V and VT series is it just the 50" size that is effected?

jamie.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello Jamie,

Hmmm i don't know what to say about other peoples sets but mine suffers only from some slight trailing as you know, i have seen the V and VT series plasmas now and i must say the first thing that struck me was the banding, in some scenes you can quite clearly make out the lines that seperate colours...not good! The VT series i looked at in my local panny store had the same issue plus that strange black level effect which was really noticeable AND annoying! However, both the V and VT series that i looked at showed signs of that motion issue too....some adverts for sky sports footie were showing and i could clearly make out the double line effect on the white lines of the pitch, it's as if the tv is unable to refresh the image!

The posterization on faces i can't say i noticed too much but it is certainly there, i guess the issue here will be that the more you watch it the more annoyed you may get as most of the time you will be staring at peoples faces! My G20 has none of these issues but Pink Moon has reported issues with their 42G20 but bear in mind that very few have complained about the 42g20 but the 46 and 50 inch versions have seen far more complaints and some have seemed in common with the V and VT series, the colour banding for example.

Just my observations of course and do bear in mind that i viewed both the V and VT in a retail enviroment.

Welcome back btw Jamie!!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

To answer your question, yes the G20 has all the issues you mention. However, do you know of any tv out there that is perfect in every way? That's what we all hope for but unfortunately, at present, it's not the reality. I'll address each of the points you mentioned.

1) Floating blacks. When I first got my tv I didn't notice this at all. It's only when I read about it and was told to look at certain scenes in a particular film that I noticed it. This may only occur for a few seconds in a two hour film. I wouldn't worry about this. In my view this issue has been blown out of proportion.

2) Colour banding and posterization. Occurs more often on lower quality feeds such as SD broadcasts and some DVDs but only on certain scenes.

3) Motion handling of fast panning scenes on 50hertz broadcasts. This could be a deal breaker for many people as this does occur quite often depending on the programme you are watching. Dragons Den in HD for example really highlights this issue when the camera pans between the dragons and back to the contestants. I'd be interested to know if LCD owners have this issue. This issue does not occur on blu-ray movies (they're not 50 hertz). Motion handling on HD football broadcasts is generally good on my G20 42. I didn't notice the momentary ghost duplication of the halfway line on fast pans until I read about it on various forums.

I had a five star 32 inch lcd for two years. I sold that earlier this year mainly because I wanted a larger screen and FreeView HD. I found the plasma to have better contrast, more natural colours and better motion handling on blu-ray. However, there are the issues listed above. Issue 3 is the most annoying.

So there you have it. That's my experience. I hope this helps you.

A

Anonymous

FZ:

To answer your question, yes the G20 has all the issues you mention. However, do you know of any tv out there that is perfect in every way? That's what we all hope for but unfortunately, at present, it's not the reality. I'll address each of the points you mentioned.

In answer to the question above I would say that 3 months ago I bought the perfect TV - the Sony 40EX503.

It has no motion blur whatsoever, perfect colours and looks smart as well. I have not even needed to adjust the out of the box settings in any way. I was torn between this and the 42G20 and ultimately chose the Sony based on its looks and am I glad I did.

I will only ever look for a replacement when this Sony dies!

A

Anonymous

FZ:

1) Floating blacks. When I first got my tv I didn't notice this at all. It's only when I read about it and was told to look at certain scenes in a particular film that I noticed it. This may only occur for a few seconds in a two hour film. I wouldn't worry about this. In my view this issue has been blown out of proportion.

2) Colour banding and posterization. Occurs more often on lower quality feeds such as SD broadcasts and some DVDs but only on certain scenes.

3) Motion handling of fast panning scenes on 50hertz broadcasts. This could be a deal breaker for many people as this does occur quite often depending on the programme you are watching. Dragons Den in HD for example really highlights this issue when the camera pans between the dragons and back to the contestants. I'd be interested to know if LCD owners have this issue. This issue does not occur on blu-ray movies (they're not 50 hertz). Motion handling on HD football broadcasts is generally good on my G20 42. I didn't notice the momentary ghost duplication of the halfway line on fast pans until I read about it on various forums.

I had a five star 32 inch lcd for two years. I sold that earlier this year mainly because I wanted a larger screen and FreeView HD. I found the plasma to have better contrast, more natural colours and better motion handling on blu-ray. However, there are the issues listed above. Issue 3 is the most annoying.

So there you have it. That's my experience. I hope this helps you.

ive seen no floating blacks on my v20 , and believe me ive been looking ..

ive seen some mild colour banding , but nothing that concerns me ..

but the apparent 50hz issues regarding motion are there , and i noticed them for the first time on dragons den , quite annoying , turning on ifc sorted it , but introduced a soap opera look , but for a programme like that , it was bearable , just ..

the motion issues with 50hz footie are very minor imo , and dont worry me at all , if i concentrate on the game , i simply dont see them ..

A

Anonymous

I'm on my second 46G20. The first had really bad banding, posterisation and phospor trailing. It was unwatchable to any more than an hour. this was on all sources (Freeview, Sky+, bd, dvd and 360).

The second one is much better regarding phosphor trailing. there is some on certain images but nothing to worry about. The banding and posterisation are still there but not quite as bad. Still not good enough, so it is going back. I never really noticed any of the problems mentioned regarding 50hz motion handling.

A

Anonymous

Hey Oldboy.

Thanks for the welcome back but not quite I am still in germany! We got back from hiking last weekend now we are at my wifes parents in vallendar near Koblenz here till the weekend then back to the UK.

I just had a lot of time while hiking to think about what steps i will take in the coming weeks and i was shocked to see all these issues regarding the pannys to be honest as I was seriously considering getting one!! I am not put off really I will be going down to a store and having a look at some to see if i can spot any of the issues mentioned but then again another poster here mentioned that they have a sony with no issues and have not had to adjust one setting now 1,this person is either very lucky. 2, Not very observant or 3, sony have sorted all the issues out you take your pick:) i know my answer!!!

Oh I have been playing my ps3 over here on my mum in laws S range 32"sony the smearing on that is really bad especially on red dead redemption and assasins creed 2 both games mainly in dark conditions for instance the cactus at night in red dead redemption you can see them smear as you run past them!!! Now I played games on this set 8 months ago and i did not notice this once but now cuz of my sony I guess i was looking for it!!! Still I get zeo smearing on my 22" LG (4yrs old) but that has backlight bleed that is visibale in daylight all around the edges hehehehe

I will keep you updated mate with what I end up doing regarding my TV happiness :)

jamie

A

Anonymous

Oldboy

Forgot to say zero backlight bleed on that set panel is perfect apart from 1 stuck blue sub pixel hmmmmmm

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Snakey:

Hey Oldboy.

Thanks for the welcome back but not quite I am still in germany! We got back from hiking last weekend now we are at my wifes parents in vallendar near Koblenz here till the weekend then back to the UK.

I just had a lot of time while hiking to think about what steps i will take in the coming weeks and i was shocked to see all these issues regarding the pannys to be honest as I was seriously considering getting one!! I am not put off really I will be going down to a store and having a look at some to see if i can spot any of the issues mentioned but then again another poster here mentioned that they have a sony with no issues and have not had to adjust one setting now 1,this person is either very lucky. 2, Not very observant or 3, sony have sorted all the issues out you take your pick:) i know my answer!!!

Oh I have been playing my ps3 over here on my mum in laws S range 32"sony the smearing on that is really bad especially on red dead redemption and assasins creed 2 both games mainly in dark conditions for instance the cactus at night in red dead redemption you can see them smear as you run past them!!! Now I played games on this set 8 months ago and i did not notice this once but now cuz of my sony I guess i was looking for it!!! Still I get zeo smearing on my 22" LG (4yrs old) but that has backlight bleed that is visibale in daylight all around the edges hehehehe

I will keep you updated mate with what I end up doing regarding my TV happiness :)

jamie

Hi Jamie,

Not quite a welcome back yet then but near enough he he! I think it's worth taking all views into account before you make your mind up what TV to get after all the issues that have been reported on here do exist. I think i have been very fortunate with my TV as i have had no issues like the ones mentioned by others which makes a refreshing change after being on the receiving end of faulty tv's he he. It's good to hear you haven't been put off as let's face it we are not talking about any problems of Sony backlight proportions but as issues have now been reported it will be best to get out there and have a look for yourself and perhaps see if you can get one on trial with a retailer if you are concerned just to avoid any potential hassle with getting your cash back, eh!

As for your comment regarding that posters Fony tv i'm of the same opinion as yourself lol! I am totally biased though when it comes to Fony tv's though so perhaps you shouldn't discount the tv just yet....?? It is a good tv after all and WHF rate them highly (i'm trying very hard to not be negative here and it's a struggle quite frankly he he he) but i would definately get one you could return easily, however, the point of your next tv was to avoid all that hassle no? I can't guarantee you will get a good tv no matter what you go for of course but i do think your chances of getting a good, fault free tv, will be much higher by going for the Panny but i'm sure many will disagree with me on here (perhaps not if they knew what i went through!). That's just my opinion of course.

That was surprising to hear so much smear on you mum in laws tv but then you are now looking for faults on every tv i should imagine he he! Good to hear that one tv is still going strong though and to get zero smearing on the LG for such an old tv is very surprising, you would think it would be far worse eh?!

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday you lucky man!

Nick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts