Should I buy a Panasonic G30 or wait for the 2012 models?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I currently own a panasonic th-42pz70, an excellent tv never had any issues.

But I'm really looking out to buy a new and bigger one. I'm not interested in 3D, that option isn't on top of my list.

I've been looking at the GT30 and VT30 both (3D) 5* rated sets. I like the VT much more than the GT, I don't like the silver trim on the screen, but the VT is to expensive.

I'm really keen on the G30 also a 5* set.

But I've gotten the advice to wait for the newer 2012 panasonic plasma's.

And I'm wondering why, because only the GT & VT50 are (3D) THX certified and all other plasma's, ST, UT & XT50 are 3D except two, the U & X50. And these are the last in serie. So I don't expect much from these 2 sets :roll:

And based on the expert reviews on the G30, this should be the best 2D plasma tv at the moment. And I am fairly convinced that the G30 will perform better on the field of image quality compared to the U & X50, because these are the last two in the 2012 series line up. The X50 is not even Full HD. :doh:

Thanks !

A

Anonymous

I would wait. Despite all the great reviews,I was highly unimpressed with the G30 plasma.

A

Anonymous

Be aware that for at least the first six months, the equivalent newer models will be significantly more expensive than the outgoing models.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
The THX certification means nothing - we have two G30's (42" and 50") in the office, both THX modes have an obvious green tinge - therefore is not to any THX standard. It's pretty much just another licence you pay for as a company so you can put it on the box, I'm sure sample sets have to adhere to the spec but I guess that isn't necessarily what the public receive.

I haven't had a chance to calibrate them yet so the tinge may be able to be removed but I've heard varying things on this - in that THX mode has some options/characteristics and Professional mode has others, would be beneficial if all options at least were available in at least one mode.

Overall the picture is very good and on "Normal" mode at least looks fairly well balanced, black levels are decent but DO vary depending on scene lighting which may or may not be a problem for you depending on how picky you are.

A

Anonymous

i purchased the pana tx-p42g30b from amazon :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-P42G30B-42-inch-Internet-Ready-Freeview/dp/B004QWYPOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328735324&sr=8-1

was not impressed-sent it back after 3 weeks of trying to get a decent image!

main problems:

TOO DARK! had to crank brightness and contrast over %75 to get anything close to bright.these high settings led to other image problems i couldn't resolve.

Fluctuating brightness-when viewing all content the tv would constantly shift from bright to darker image. it was a constant niggle for me once i spotted it . good way to spot it was when i changed channel on virgin and image was bright for approx 1 second then dimmed to the normal brownish gloom.

i don't send stuff back without serious testing. but for me i've lost confidence in newer pana plasmas as they are just too dim/dark.maybe it was a one off,but i've read other people have had similar issues with this set.

my problem is though that i prefer plasma for low input lag etc over lcd/led.

now looking at lcd/led just for some brightness!

A

Anonymous

Fluctuating brightness on these models was addressed via a firmware update a while back now. However, these models may not be ideal for someone wanting an uncalibrated over-bright picture.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Thing is, these fluctuating brightness levels seem to have been an issue for years - I'll check the firmware updates and see if they help.

It seems Panasonic make great panels that are consistently let down by the firmware, despite all the 5-Star reviews. THX mode doesn't have fluctuating brightness from memory but then everything on it looks like The Matrix thanks to the green tint - other modes have better colour but fluctuate brightness... Very frustrating for what are fairly premium screens.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
well its a tough call, but i'd be happier with a 2011 model than a 2010 model thats one thing for sure! if you were to buy a 2011 model like say the GT30, id suggest that you buy off a retailer that will let you demo the set extensively in store. Thats what I did with my VT30, they let me set mine up in the store, and let me bring my own blu-rays and watch stuff for as long as i like before making up my mind.. i knew from the 2010 sets I had, the problems that annoyed me.. so i had a good idea what to check for and i had a good selection of films which would show the problems clearly.

The main issues that I see talked about with the 2011 models are green tinges to various parts of the screen - this seems to be a random thing - it wasnt on my 42VT30, but plenty of others have reported it on there tvs. I love the Vt30, i ran it for about 4 months and they got it calibrated and it really is a thing of beauty.. the only problem? I wish it was a 46" set!

So if i was buying now, id certainly see if i could get a good value VT30 or GT30, on the otherhand the panel driving system has been completely revamped for the VT50's so it may be worth waiting around to see what they bring to the party.. but when the party is already as good as the VT30.. it would have to be a hell of a party to tempt me!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for all the reply's.

I didn't make it financially to buy a new tv last year, but now I'm tempted to buy a Panasonic TX-P50ST50 for € 1000 - £ 825.

Is this a good deal? I've already read a lot of reviews where they all recommend the ST50 series even at full price.

I like the GT50 more, but it ain't available no more in the store where I also saw the ST50. That was a real dissapointement because they sold the 50GT50 at € 1299 - £ 1075.

So my question, should I buy the 50ST50 for € 1000 - £ 825 ?

Thanks !

TRENDING THREADS