Does it matter if tweeters are in phase or not

matthewpianist

Tweeters are more directional than bass/mids. You should be able to tell - if there's a strangely dislocated quality to the sound you know the tweeters are out of phase. Soundstaging goes to pot and higher sounds don't have full solidity to them.

Reactions: hifi

Fergus

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
I have replaced the tweeters and can’t tell from the wiring which is positive but high sounds are very clear so I guess theyre right. I suppose if one of the two was wired incorrectly there’s some difference I would hear?

I'm not sure how easy to detect it would be. I might be wrong here, but tend to think of it this way - you can alter the phase just by moving your head. In doing so, you alter the time at which the signals reach your ears. That's much more easily done at higher frequencies because of their shorter wavelength. A quick Google suggests that at 50Hz, the wavelength is just under 7m, so it's hard to have any real effect on phase by moving your head, and hence why incorrect phase is easily detected with bass. . But at 15KHz, the wavelength is less than an inch. So moving your head half an inch further from one and half an inch closer to the other would make them out of phase - but moving your head small distances doesn't have that effect.

So, does the brain just compensate, as it would have to in the real world?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Wouldn't be the first time...

Gray

I have replaced the tweeters and can’t tell from the wiring which is positive but high sounds are very clear so I guess theyre right. I suppose if one of the two was wired incorrectly there’s some difference I would hear?
Does it matter?
Too right it matters Fergus - don't live in doubt (I don't know how can you sleep :unsure:)
The current tweeters must be marked for polarity. Get to the other end of their wires where the crossover will (should) have polarity markings.....identify the wires - ensure all is correct - in both cabs.

Curious why the tweeter has no polarity identification. Is it absolutely 100% symmetrical in every regard? Not even screw holes or a marking on the magnet - or anything?

How easy is it for you to reverse phase on one to try again? Most 2-way speakers have tweeters in-phase with the woofer, or deliberately 180 degree out of phase. (Stereophile reviews always mention this)

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts