Does anyone use a outboard DAC

A

Anonymous

I have just a 2 piece Cyrus system and, although it sounded great before, the addition of a Beresford dac has made it sound fantastic. Your system is better than mine so I would think the DAC X would be a very good buy for you, the guys on the Cyrus forum seem to really rate them.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="superjimbo"]I have just a 2 piece Cyrus system and, although it sounded great before, the addition of a Beresford dac has made it sound fantastic. Your system is better than mine so I would think the DAC X would be a very good buy for you, the guys on the Cyrus forum seem to really rate them.[/quote]

I tried the Beresford DAC and was underwhelmed - I lost a lot of bass and too much midrange on my kit. Still, it's there as a headphone amp.

A

Anonymous

I use a Chord DAC-64 and it is superb. The Cyrus DAC-X and XP are based on similar upsampling technology and I expect would sound fairly similar.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I heard that the Chord is a great piece. What did you notice in resolution terms when adding the DAC. Its one of those deals that the dealer special orders one in and its yours no demos.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I had a two box Cyrus set up and added a DAC-X last month. The gain in detail was amazing.

My pound for pound best upgrade was the addition of two x mono X's over two x smartpower though

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
What was the difference from the smartpowers, I was thinking of upgrading as well but wasnt sure what to do first. You doing both what would you do, the DAC or mono's....mono's though might be out of reach until i save some money though. Thanks for the tips.
As for the DAC what did pick up in resoultion terms

A

Anonymous

As you've already got the smartpowers, Id go the DAC route.

The difference was really noticable in my set-up. Far more detail, a wider soundstage and immaculate timing. It really did make e want to dig out my old cds...

John Duncan

You may wish to see if you can dig out an old review by another magazine which described the DAC X as a life-changing piece of kit. Of course, I can't mention which publication it was here so it would be your Choice.

Or I can send it to you, it's by my bed (which tells you rather more about my life than you probably wished to know).

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Rev"]I use a Chord DAC-64 and it is superb[/quote]

I'd go along with that. As quoted above, in reference to the Cyrus DAC-X, a life-changing piece of equipment. The gains in detail retrieval and depth of sound stage are stunning. I'd like to build the rest of my kit around it when I can fund it or stop buying copious amounts of vinyl. Yes, the Chord 64 is great but at the moment I favour the sound of my Radius deck. Not much in it though.

John Duncan

My apologies - it was the DAC-XP which was reviewed and was "life-changing". Whether or not you can extrapolate from that I don't know, though others (actual owners) here suggest this may be the case..........

A

Anonymous

The XP, is the DAC-X with a pre-amp built in. It's a great piece of kit, but as far as I'm aware, the DAC element of it is the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts