Does anyone own a Project Expression 1.2?????

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have recently bought the above turntable from a seller on ebay, however it did not come with the user manual. I have looked online but can only find the manual for the Expresion III turntable. See link below:

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/en/manual/manual_xpression.pdf

Does anyone know whether the procedure for the setting up of the tone arm etc is the same for the Expression 1.2 as described in the manual for the Expression 3?

I have not owned a turntable for about 15yrs so have no idea how to set up.

Many thanks

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks recordspot, I have just printed the manual. The turntable looks in pretty good condition with one or two marks which were expected. It is fiited with a catridge with 510 written on it. This may seen like a dull question, but how can you tell if the cartridge and/or stylus need replacing? I am a complete vinyl novice!

Thanks

T

the record spot

Ortofon 510 - no experience with it, but you can buy a replacement sylus to fit onto the main cartridge, so, easy to replace. Needles and Spins, an online retailer to name but one, do them for about £45, but shop around. I'd be inclined to replace anyway, then at least you know what you're dealing with from new.

T

the record spot

Well, it's a matter of choice. I'm happy with the cartridge I have at present (listed below) but it's not everyone's cup of tea soundwise (bright, analytical, doesn't do "warm"). You'd be better asking a dealer about the Ortofon 510. Can I suggest Ian Harrison near Derby? He supplied my AT and I found him to be excellent - very happy to discuss options, etc., so he would be my first point of contact. He doesn't have a website, but you can get his number online I think. He may advertise in WHFS&V, but not sure; I rarely seek the dealer pages.

Some carts allow you to change the stylus and keep the cartridge body (the 510 and my AT for instance), whilst others (e.g. Rega) require you change the whole thing, like it or not. Horses for courses.

EDIT - yes, a new cartridge will have a stylus with it; Rega's are built in as one assembly, but those with a detachable stylus will have them supplied too. It's not a case of buying the body and then having to purchase the stylus to mount on to it separately.

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. Am now in process of setting up tone arm etc. However, I wonder if anyone can explain the Anti-skating force adjustment process. I have no idea what the instruction manual is asking me to do.

Should there be anything that goes between the Anti skating weight, the anti skating weight support hoop and the adjustment on the rear of the tone arm? I wonder if I have a piece missing. I have adjusted the cartridge downforce to the weight of the Ortofon Cartridge, however the tone arm does now not reach the vinyl when released from the support rest!

Any help much appreciated, it was easier to put an ikea wardrobe together using the swedish instructions!!!!

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I have looked at various pictures on the web and now realise that I am missing the anti-skate weight and wire which attach to the tone arm. Does anyone know where I could purchase one in the UK, the only sites I have found selling them ae in the states?

Thanks.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Henley Designs contact form is here:

http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/enquiry.asp.

As Pro-ject distrubutors they should be able to assist you

TRENDING THREADS