Does anyone have or heard how loud AVI ADM9.1 go?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Phileas said:
The_Lhc said:
it's largely the antics of the manufacturer that rub people up the wrong way, such as, in the case of this thread, making claims about the speakers that simply cannot be true given the specification of the amps used. That's why people get annoyed with AVI.

I haven't seen any posts by the manufacturer on this thread.

I didn't say the manufacturer had personally posted in this thread, don't be facetious.

There's obviously history involved here but most intelligent people seem to have moved on. :)

You're still here.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Phileas said:
The_Lhc said:
You're still here.

So are you. :)

Anyway, I wasn't specifically referring to you but certain others who seem to have some emotional issues with AVI.

I tend to think if someone comes along and visits your house, tells you that your furniture is crap, your car's a pile of worthless rubbish, and how much better you could've bought for much less money, that your wife is fat and ugly, your kids are lined up to go to prison etc, I think most of us would get a little, er, emotionally upset, or have emotional 'issues' with such a person.

OK, that's a bit of an extreme analogy, but I think all of us have a certain amount of 'something' invested in the decisions we make as consumers, and the things we buy.

There seems to be a certain type of sales approach where it seems perfectly OK to bag the hell out of the 'opposition', or the things people own, to try and make a sale.

I experienced this for the first time when I was about 14 years of age, and shopping for some trendy/groovy clothes, and the elderly matron serving, thought she'd do me a favour by pointing out how mundane and ordinary was my dress, and how much better was the stuff she was trying to flog me.

Needless to say I didn't buy anything from her, as I felt unreasonably, and unfairly insulted.

This sales approach seems sadly endemic to the obsessional, neurotic audiophile world, where people use music as a pretext for spending hours listening to their systems.

I first experienced it as a Naim owner, both from the company "You're Nobody Without a Naim", and from the legions of Naim fanbois.

It was apparently not enough that I'm a classical trained musician, and accordingly took umbridge to the PRaT/Flat Earth HiFi philosophy as having anything to do with actual music performance per se, being more of a made up marketing term, and hence needed to be taken to a HiFi Gulag, and 're-educated', 'taught how to listen', and have my hearing checked.

It seemed it was perfectly OK to insult people to their back teeth online, where such talk in a real life pub for example, might see you carried out on a stretcher were you to utter it to the wrong person.

I really see no reason why HiFi cannot be discussed in sensible, but fun, and yet respectful ways in online forums.

Certainly, I own active speakers, and am well aware of the real world technical benefits, but if others choose to mix and match, and spend a lot of money constantly swapping kit out and many hours listening to their kit, that's their perogative and choice - and good luck to them - you can have worse hobbies, or waste a lot more money on other things.

Bagging people for their consumer choices, whether it be HiFi, cars, furniture, photography kit etc, just seems highly unpleasant, unneccessary, and I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who practice it, and then cry victim, when people call them out, and attack them back for it.

Just my 2c worth

PS: I'm very happy with my B&O kit thank you very much, ...and feel no need to try AVI or anything else..... :)

Thankfully, B&O don't market to audiophiles, hence as an owner, you don't find yourself caught up in all these offensive audiophile marketing 'techniques'... and thank goodness for that, as it makes a deeply refreshing change, and one that only increases my professional appreciation for the company.

JB :cheers:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Impressive, but reason doesn't count for much in these kind of debates.

I once got labelled an 'Apple hater' for calling their various devices "iThings" in an AVI related discussion.

It didn't matter that I own and use a number of Apple products (along with iTunes and AirPlay) every day. It didn't make any difference that some of those devices (related to my system) were in my signature.

'iThings' offended this particular person and was used as stick to beat my 'Apple hating', 'AVI hating' a##! (Apparently hating one meant I - automatically - hated the other according to some twisted logic.)

So you might as well take a side before one is assigned to you by default.

matthewpiano

Nice to read something calm and reasoned in this thread, which has become as circular as these things always do.

I've never heard the AVI ADMs so I'm certainly not going to start commenting on the sound. To me they look like an interesting proposition and there are enough reasonable people out there who have been turned on to them through listening for me to think there must be something in the claims made about their sound. I also think there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a system using the ADMs - less distraction from the music, less space taken up by boxes etc. Part of me finds the concept very attractive and I certainly won't rule them out in the future. Neither am I going to believe the marketing, any more than I believe the marketing of Naim, Linn or any manner of companies producing audio equipment. When I make a final decision about my system (and when funds allow me to) I will review all the options - AVI, Bang & Olufsen, conventional stereo kit from Rega, Naim et al, and also the possibilities open with the better AV kit. I owe it to myself to do this with an open mind and to really think about how I'm going to use my system and which option is likely to give me the most pleasure from my music, radio, and movies.

I don't think it is so hard to keep an open mind, in any direction.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Matthew,

That is the only reason why I suggest AVI ADMs to people on here. There is little advertising about actives in the hifi press and as far as I am aware none at all for AVI; I learnt about AVI on here and will be eternally gratefull for that. So for people with an open mind I place my experiences before them, telling people how revelatory the ADMs were to my ears and wallet.

I don't bag out other peoples suggestions, unless particularly provoked or asked to, just what I have experienced. To a number of people on here this is almost completely unacceptable and you get attacked directly or, some historic tangent argument gets thrown into the mix. Then because of this hostility the thread goes on and on which then converts into accusations of AVI indulging in viral marketing.

If the AVI detracters just made relevant alternative suggestions to the OP, instead of attacking AVI, then all sides would have the same opportunity to help the OP without there being the same historic accusations being aired ad nausium.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
But we've come to the conclusion that they're f###ing loud, right? *

* but need a sub if you're going to play electronic music.

Which is what the thread was all about.

I wonder if anyone has noticed that the OP has made a choice now and purchased some gear?

To you OP, sorry I've forgotten your online personna, GOOD LUCK with your purchases, I hope you will enjoy them. :cheers:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
fr0g said:
The_Lhc said:
I've said on several occasions that the ADMs sound (from the description of many owners) exactly the sort of speakers I'm looking for but I find Ashley's antics so distasteful that I would never give him my money, which is a shame, although he'd probably find it funny.

That's called "cutting your nose off to spite your face" :)

I prefer to think of it as standing on principles but I see your point.

Why not go for some 2nd hand, and swap the Avi badges for something else ? You could get a great deal 2nd hand at the moment, try them and sell them on if you just couldn't stomach it (or didn't like them).

Well, there is the other issue of integrating them with my existing home cinema setup, as there's no centre channel (and no I don't buy the whole "they image so good you don't need a centre channel" line).

I definitely would like to hear some though.

Well you would be welcome to listen to mine, 9Ts or 40s, I don't have the 9RSS, but without PMs on here that ain't exactly easy to arrange. Even if you are within acceptable travelling distance.

Genuine offer by the way. :read:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Aw shucks, relocated, stop tapping that keyboard so aggressively!

Go on, have the last word, you'll feel much better.

P.S Don't know if you noticed, but you had the caps lock key on. Easy mistake to make.

Praise be to - [add your own choice of deity, provable or otherwise], I finally got your attention. :grin:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Alec said:
relocated said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Never thought you'd put your money where your mouth is, relocated, proper armchair warrior you are!

Roth AV, if she was called Shill she was probably a Kiwi. We pronounce the i a bit stronger.

Lemo, read my words.

I AM NOT IN THE LEAST INTERESTED IN YOUR MEANDERINGS. I AM CERTAINLY NOT INTERESTED IN FINANCIALLY SUPPORTING YOUR MEANDERINGS NOR WOULD I LEND MY PRECIOUS AVI ADM 9Ts TO ONE SUCH AS YOU.

I SUSPECT YOU DON'T REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT SORT OF "WARRIOR" I AM. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7DqwRKqyMk

Well I've got "big blue eyes". Your place or mine love?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
relocated, have a look at JMacman's post. You'll see yourself in there, unfortunately proving some of his points.

Let go: AVIs aren't a religion they're loudspeakers like any other, but with the convenience/restriction, depending how you look upon it, of having everything built-in. They'll sound good to some people and less so to others, no-one has attacked the quality of the speakers, nor indeed of AVIs products in the past.

As an aside; having almost decided to join the AVI forum, but being put off by some of the owner's comments, I note he had little negative to say about my own speakers, which, from the Great One, is high praise indeed.

Must go now, trying to do a deal with a man from a country east of here for some Neutron 5s for a friend.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Alec said:
relocated said:
I don't bag out other peoples suggestions, unless particularly provoked or asked to...

You "bag out" other people's suggestions on request?

If you are unable to understand what I have said, in the context in which I have said it, then it would be pointless me trying to explain it to you.

Really nice having a chat with you Alec, lets not do it too often if that's all right with you.

:wave:

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
From the number of posts this thread has produced I can guess roughly how the discussion has proceeded. Just to add my own experiences, I turned a mate's AVIs up half way and when I woke up I was laying in the next room and looking up at a Jame5-shaped whole in the adjoining wall.

siiimmo2005

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Dear Viao,

I own a pair of AVI9 RS's (the latest versions) as well as the AVI 10" sub.

Loudness is definitely not an issue with or without the sub. I have played them loud (loud enough for my lounge / kitchen open plan room (11meters / 3 meters (played at one end of the room)) without any issue.

Vocals and treble are also not an issue – with house / techno / minimal electro all the detailed clicks, whoosh’s etc... sound amazing.

Bass on house / techno / minimal electro also sounds very impressive – mainly due to the sub. I have no idea how loud the sub goes, but it is very powerful.

There is more of an issue if you like hip hop. For a very specific e.g: Kendrick Lamar M.a.a.d City. For anyone that knows this song, there is a very particular B-Line that comes in. The AVI’s (including the sub) don’t do a good job of picking this up. The lower mids / upper bass, even with the sub and even with all the speaker cones vibrating a lot, just aren’t projected. Other songs on his album do sound good though.

Otherwise, FLAC / .wav’s for classical, jazz (& the genre’s mentioned above) sound very good. Oh and I play my Samsung 46” LED through them and TV and film all sound very good (especially with the sub).

A word of warning with the AVI’s: the quality of the music played through the DAC has to be high, as the crystal clear tweeters will pick up all the noise. I’ve started to abandon some old songs I have on my PC already.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts