Does anyone have experience of amps that work well with Kudos speakers?

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
I know this is a long shot, but has anyone heard the Musical Fidelity M6i with a pair of Kudos X2 speakers? If so, how would you describe the match and their suitability for each other?

I live in Leicester and I’m not aware of any dealers that stock both Kudos and MF in order for me to audition.

I heard the Kudos speakers recently and was extremely impressed. They were being driven by Naim 202/ 200 amps which suited them very well. I really enjoyed the pairing but I have a nagging doubt that the lively and ‘live’ sounding presentation would become fatiguing over extended listening.

I am interested in the M6i as I have read great things about it and I used to enjoy owning an MF A1 (Class A amp). Also the M6i is exactly within my budget at £2,500 whereas the Naims are considerably more.

I have decided I will be buying the Kudos speakers as they impressed me so much so I’m not looking for alternative speaker suggestions. I would really appreciate guidance on amps that people have heard match the Kudos X2s well.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Maybe something from Bel Canto, Audio Analogue or Electrocompaniet.

Also at that money there is also Sugden (A21), Pathos (Classic one) and Unison Research Unico range.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Kudos partner very well with Sonneteer (I'm told) - at your price level that would be the Orton. Often described as a cross between Naim and Sugden, well worth a listen (imho, of course)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
margetti said:
Kudos partner very well with Sonneteer (I'm told) - at your price level that would be the Orton. Often described as a cross between Naim and Sugden, well worth a listen (imho, of course)

Another very interesting suggestion (which I see you own). I've come across it recently, but never heard one.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from the forum member who partnered Kudos speakers with the Leema amp. The Tucana was an amp that I had considered (even though it's more than I planned to spend - this is the trouble with this hobby!)

@Plastic Penguin - Do you know whether the forum member stuck with the Kudos/ Leema combination or found improvements?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
margetti said:

Another very interesting suggestion (which I see you own). I've come across it recently, but never heard one.

I have the Alabaster which is a cracking amp - very very musical to say the least. The Orton is a step up in refinement, but at £2k out of my price range (bought the Alabaster 2nd-hand, never ever seen an Orton for sale 2nd-hand, which must say something).

I have been wanting to upgrade my speakers for some time now, top of the list after much research are Kudos, Penaudio, and Totem. Just waiting for those lottery numbers to come up :)

inbox4 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from the forum member who partnered Kudos speakers with the Leema amp. The Tucana was an amp that I had considered (even though it's more than I planned to spend - this is the trouble with this hobby!)

@Plastic Penguin - Do you know whether the forum member stuck with the Kudos/ Leema combination or found improvements?

You won't hear from him again - can't go into detail in case I breach house rules.

To answer your second question: No idea.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
margetti said:
I have the Alabaster which is a cracking amp - very very musical to say the least. The Orton is a step up in refinement, but at £2k out of my price range (bought the Alabaster 2nd-hand, never ever seen an Orton for sale 2nd-hand, which must say something).

I have been wanting to upgrade my speakers for some time now, top of the list after much research are Kudos, Penaudio, and Totem. Just waiting for those lottery numbers to come up :)

You definitely have an eclectic palate....I remember the Ruarks from back in the day (great speakers); though I'm not familiar with Penaudio.

I remember the Dunlop Systemdek 11x, is yours a sort of cousin, ie. is there also a tie-in with Audio Note?

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Never heard the combo myself but the Nait xs is supposed to be magic with the x2. I considered them myself but never managed to get a demo as the dealer never called me back. Their loss as I spent a considerable amount elsewhere instead :)

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
@ tyranniux42

I heard the Nait XS with the X2s and it didn't really do it for me. I found the mid range and top end to be lacking in body and felt like I wanted to constantly turn up it up to fill in these inadequacies. This is likely to be as a result of hearing the 202/200 first which in my opinion is leagues ahead of the XS. Perhaps I would have enjoyed the XS and found it sufficient if I'd have heard that first? Unfortunately now, perhaps I'm spoilt!?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
margetti said:

You definitely have an eclectic palate....I remember the Ruarks from back in the day (great speakers); though I'm not familiar with Penaudio. I remember the Dunlop Systemdek 11x, is yours a sort of cousin, ie. is there also a tie-in with Audio Note?

I believe the 900 is the last model they made before selling the rights to Audio Note... bought a couple of years ago on a well known auction site whilst enjoying a glass or two of wine - got lucky as it was in great condition and has served me very well indeed

(apologies to inbox4 for the slight thread hijax)

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
VoodooDoctor said:
inbox4 said:
@ VoodooDoctor

They did until recently but don't anymore.

Did they say why?

Not really but they did say they found the floorstanders difficult to sell alongside the X2s. (maybe they still sell the amps, I assumed the account had been dropped based on the comment about the speakers)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts