Do your youngsters have proper hi-fis?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm 19. Look at my spec (don't mean to brag)
emotion-5.gif

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

A Denon DM38DAB with Monitor Audio BR1 speakers for £299 will sound excellent in a bedroom. (And take up less room than all that stuff in your loft you mentioned.)

And she can plug an iPod into it, play CDs, plug in her DVD & TV, use the radio etc etc.

Just what I was thinking!

I was desparate to get some Hifi from a very early age as my Dad's 1983 Pioneer/TDL separates sounded stunning (still do) next to my Dixons Walkman-a-like and later Panasonic Ghettoblaster. My first real pay-check got me rolling 12 years later.

TBH a succession of portable devices as a kid were the only real way to listen to music without annoying my parents enough to remove all noise generating devices - well until I was a late-teen at least.
So despite a DM38DAB being the right size, quality etc you'll probably thank all the parents on here more who've already suggested anything with headphones!

A

Anonymous

Our daughter has a Denon Dm-35 with Russ Andrews GQ-24cable but she is using some old Toshba surround speakers at Uni, she has some old mission speakers here at home for it when she comes home fr Summer.
Nick

Chokobolt:I'm 19. Look at my spec (don't mean to brag)
emotion-5.gif

Good - by the time I was 16 (before Maggie Thatcher came to power) had this receiver, Garrard turntable, Solavox speakers, Hitachi cassette deck. In today's money you probably wouldn't get much change from £1,500.

Chokobolt:

Well, then you were doing quite alright yourself
emotion-5.gif

How did you pay for it?

Growing up on a Council estate in South London, it was courtesy of Freeman catalogues, begged and borrowed, and hard work, even at 15....
emotion-4.gif

Anyway, back to my daughter: she is 11 years younger than you.

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
chebby:

You are 19 and nostalgic already?

Yes, I really am. I took 10th grade on a border school (they are very popular here in Denmark) when I was 16-17. So I spend the entire day, every day talking to/fooling around with a lot of people, both boys and girls and was in fact pretty popular. One of my dearest memories was when a gorgeous looking girl and I for no particular reason started dancing tango together down the dining hall
emotion-4.gif

After my year on the border school, me and my parents moved 70 km. north from were I used to live, and three days after that, I started in the high-school where I still go today (am on the third/last year now). So I didn't know anybody when I first started, but now I just hang out with two of my classmates everyday at school (and also see them outside of school) but that is basically it. So yeah, I tend to get pretty nostalgic when I think back to my year on the border school and think about how easy/fun times I had compared to how my life is now.

A

Anonymous

Chokobolt:chebby:

You are 19 and nostalgic already?

Yes, I really am. I took 10th grade on a border school (they are very popular here in Denmark) when I was 16-17. So I spend the entire day, every day talking to/fooling around with a lot of people, both boys and girls and was in fact pretty popular. One of my dearest memories was when a gorgeous looking girl and I for no particular reason started dancing tango together down the dining hall
emotion-4.gif

After my year on the border school, me and my parents moved 70 km. north from were I used to live, and three days after that, I started in the high-school where I still go today (am on the third/last year now). So I didn't know anybody when I first started, but now I just hang out with two of my classmates everyday at school (and also see them outside of school) but that is basically it. So yeah, I tend to get pretty nostalgic when I think back to my year on the border school and think about how easy/fun times I had compared to how my life is now.

man up ;)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
My interest in hifi started at about the age of 13. My dad bought me some Mission 760iSE speakers for Christmas which were powered by an old ghetto blaster. A few months later I got a refurbished Panasonic amp and a Kenwood graphic equalizer for my birthday. By then I'd got the bug and saved up all my pocket money for a Yamaha tape player and a 150watt car subwoofer. Unfortunatly after that I got interested in rave music for a while and ended up with some rubbish quality DJing decks, a mixer and some very cheap CD players (with the all important pitch control).

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I remember when I was younger, my brother and I both got a Philips all-in-one stereo each which we dueled with for many years. It stood on the floor and looked kind of like a robot with the speakers attached to the side of it. I remember it had a sub woofer in the bottom which meant the bass was totally out of control (and even more so if you pressed the "Turbo Bass" button on the remote.) We had these when we were about 8 or 9 years old. When I was about 13 or 14, a friend and I "upgraded" mine by plugging a JVC stereo amp into the headphone out socket and wiring up two sets of Mordaunt Short speakers. My parents never complained but I was fairly mature about the volume and musical choice when they were at home. By the time I was 18, I'd bought a pair of KEF floorstanders which I still use for my AV set up and a Rotel CD deck (which my brother now has).

I had loads of fun from a fairly early age with this.I guess part of it depends on what your kids like. If it's similar to what you like, buy the kit. It you hate their music, buy them a set of closed back headphones!

And remember... nostalgia ain't what it used to be...!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
My daughter has a Pure DAB with iPod plug in and my son did have a sony midi system until it packed up. I did try and palm him off with an old Marantz i had collecting dust but as for expressions go, well you know...

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Reminds me of my first hifi purchase. I hadn't thought about it before but I saved birthday and Christmas money along with pocket money to get something, my one of my older brothers worked as a buyer for what was a very well respected rareraties record/cd shop at the time and the other was into all sorts of heavy metal so had alot of music thrust at me from a very young age. As luck had it one of those brothers had a friend who had more money than sense and wanted some quick money so agreed to sell me an akai amp, cd player and tape deck sons some speakers (not sure what they were now) for £40! Granted akai isn't the best but it was like nothing I had heard at the time. This all sounded great but this persons dad did not want him to sell the gear (as he probably paid alot for it) and I had already spent some of the money I had on my first CDs so hardly had any extra money left to get something else! As a 12 year old I was distraught at the thought of having to buy a goodmans midi system instead of seperates! This outpouring of emotion must have struck a chord as the dad had a change of heart and I got my first separates hifi! My friends were very jealous; mainly because of how loud it went though.
My daughter is now 4 and she loves my hifi for music, films and t.v, she has a little cd/radio thing which was in my kitchen, I have been thinking about letting her have my Onkyo cr515 which is in my kitchen now so I can get an sonos S5 for there and a zp90 for the living room :). I think the Onkyo is plenty good enough for a bedroom and I think quite close to entry level separates. It can be hooked up to tv, DVD if/when we cave in (which I don't want to happen for some time) and even has annoptical in for digital sources! I am Sure you could pick one up on e-bay for not a lot and I personally think it sounds better than the denon equivalents.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Like some others here, my youngest has an old mini system that was in the kitchen. He asked me for a CD of his favourite tracks the other day - only snag being, I don't own them! However, he also has my old iPod Touch, so I showed him how to access Spotify and connected the iPod to the mini system - only analogue, but he's now completely satisfied! As I've said to my other half many times, Spotify Premium is actually SAVING us money :)

A

Anonymous

At 8/9 my first "Hi-Fi" was a pair of Ariston £10 jobs from richer sounds, hard wired into a Sharp Radio-Cassette player. Soon changed to a Cambridge Audio A1 Mk3 with an Ariston CD player a few months later.

When I was 11 (ish) I had a system compromising of TDL Nucleus 4's, Sony TAFB-940R and a Rotel RCD-865. A long while later (17) I changed to a NAD C326BEE and Mission 782's.

Now 19 and have a Musical Fidelity M6 CD Player, ProAc Studio 130's, Musical Fidelity A370 Power Amp and MVX Pre Amp. Got a second A370 coming which I will use to make into a monoblock, and do the same with my current one.

Hopefully upgrading to B&W 804D or 803D later this year. Afterwards plan to build my own liquid cooled 300W Class-A monoblocks. Oh yes! Got some great ideas on a nicely power-supplied pre-amp aswell. Will use these monoblocks with a pair of KEF Reference Model Two's in my room when I move out next year and keep the A370's with the B&W's in the living room.

Forgot to add, using Grado SR325is' for home use and Shure SE425's on the move. Got a pair of Sennheiser HD25's lying about somewhere too.

A

Anonymous

When I was 16 I bought my first set of speakers, an actve 5.1 set for £20 including delivery. The sound was less than stellar.

I then bought a pair of wharfedale valdus 500's as I wanted the biggest speakers I could get, coupled to a tangent amp 50 (which is quite good for £50).

Then did a part exchange with a carlsbro keyboard amp i found in a dump (15inch woofer) for a wharfedale diamond sw 150 and handed over £20. I kinda broke the sub and the dust cap blew off and is now replaced with a mr Kipling red lid (sounds fine to be fair, can't tell the difference, neither could the salesman).

Upgraded the amp to an arcam alpha 9 for £155, however I'm likely going to sell it for a behringer a500 as my source is a soundblaster external card and the speakers are also a limiting factor in sound quality.

As to the future, ultimately looking to get a second hand set of b and w's/monitor audios when a great deal comes along and a dacmagic/inequivalent, will keep the wharfedales for house parties and going to build some cheapo speakers for rears in the basement rave house room from car components, power them with the epic tangent and hope it doesn't blow up :D.

And finally i wish to build dual 15inch/18 subs in a sealed cabinet and power it with a pro amp to really shake down the house. I want to keep this for a long time so I'm going to get some audiophile drivers for this one not pa/car audio rubbish (to be fair high end car audio is fine but I want deep bass so pa is out).

Now 19 and I have easily made the money back through djing and from my perspective buying those £20 speakers was one of the greatest purchases I have ever made. I heartily recommend you go down the route of separates for your children, it really is a life long gift. I don't think I'd ever be happy in life with a set of bose speakers now but before I learnt the difference I would have been delighted.

dibdab

May 26, 2009
Visit site
My daughter has just turned two, so no need for hi fi although she has an old micro system that i got from freegle, in there that she likes to play around with/listen to the radio on.

I fully intend on kitting out her room with an amp and speakers at the very least in the future, I would imagine all the music she would listen to would be played on a computer.

TRENDING THREADS