Do you still prefer your CD player to other sources?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Lhc - I will quote myself on a CDP - the transport has to stream the data to the internal DAC - and pure CD transports have been around for eons.
I know that's what you said, I quoted you saying it, I don't know what you're trying to achieve by repeating it though?
While technically correct, since no-one used the term ... for simply playing audio from a PC hard drive 10 years ago, I, like mikeparker, will be pedantic, semantic and argumentative and will reserve the term streaming for playing digital audio from a networked source
You're changing the argument, nobody mentioned a PC playing music from its own hard drive, my original comment referred to an NP30 digital audio player (which is perfectly capable of playing from a network) playing from an attached hard drive. I would still regard that as streaming from the hard drive to the player, it just isn't using the network to do it.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
The first time I recall the term streaming being used was in relation to video coming via the internet , so have always , as I said maybe incorrectly,considered that in streaming the source of the file being played was remote from the device playing it back, as opposed to being stored on a local drive attached to or part of the playback equipment, hence my saying that I don't consider files on a hard drive directly attached to my NP30 as being streamed.

What would I call it, I don't know maybe reading the files off the hard drive?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts