Do you leave your speakers grills on or take them off before listening to music?

D

Deleted member 108165

I think there was a thread on this last year. I leave them on as they are a b*gger to get off, (never been off), plus they are tuned to sound their best with the grilles in place... brilliant excuse for not taking them off.

D

Deleted member 116933

I leave the Hersey 3s grills on. For no rhyme nor reason other than I’m to lazy to take them off. Plus It keeps the dust out of the compression drivers as I’d be to lazy to put the back on. Lol

Gray

I think there was a thread on this last year.
Yes, I'm sure there was a more recent one, but here's one:

manicm

Can’t remember, a recent speaker WHF reviewed stated the grill was meant to stay on for best sound quality, but I know my B&Ws and Monitor Audios just sounded a bit more open to me grills off, and of course look much better that way too.

D

Deleted member 108165

There is something alluring about a naked speaker, with drivers on show, but I can assure that it only has an affect on the male of our species.

Reactions: Gray

AJM1981

After 47 years of grills on, Epicons grills off. Sound even more open and don’t look too bad naked.

Given almost all modern speakers they really did some optical design or took a good standard format. That's why many brands nowadays look good without grills. Going back in time to the 70s and 80s they mainly cared about the appearance with a grill. There was a function first approach.

Sure I read somewhere years ago -- may have been on here, can't recall. However, someone said having the grilles (grills) on is like holding the palm of your hand an inch from your lips. If you speak and then remove your hand, there's slight veil to your speech compared to the hand removed.

Speakers pretty much work on the same basis.

I also remember the RS6s have their own separate grille/mesh for the tweeter. Using a piece of blu-tak and remove and the detail is slightly more prominent.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
There is something alluring about a naked speaker, with drivers on show, but I can assure that it only has an affect on the male of our species.
For all you know Kashifa Kabir, Becky Roberts and Verity Burns (all females who worked on testing hifi for What hi fi sound and vision) could love looking at a naked speaker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts