Do you do speaker grilles on or off?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As the subject says really, interested to hear whether people (in their home environment) have the grilles on or off. If I'm honest I could never really tell the difference sound wise, but it seems that 99% of hi fi product and review photography has the grilles off. I have the grilles on all the time, in the veign hope it will protect the drivers from my 2 year old :) Cheers, James

A

Anonymous

I think the review shots are to give you a good look at the speakers themselves hence lack of grilles but I'm with you in not being able to tell the difference with the grilles on.

A

Anonymous

I suppose it depends upon the speaker. I notice a difference with my (ancient) Heybrook sextets (better without) but an opposite difference with a pair of (equally ancient) mission 780s (better on). But its probably my imagination - the Heybrooks look much nicer without.

David

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have to say I find the grilles supplied with some speakers do have the effect of softening the treble a bit, and can make soundstaging a shade hazy. That's why I tend to run speakers in the buff.

A

Anonymous

With the grilles off, clearity certainly improves on my Monitor Audio GR20. However, I do keep them at hand for when friends with small kids drop by...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GSX-R"]However, I do keep them at hand for when friends with small kids drop by...[/quote]

Copy that! Or the cleaning lady...brrr!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Pim"][quote user="GSX-R"]However, I do keep them at hand for when friends with small kids drop by...[/quote]

Copy that! Or the cleaning lady...brrr![/quote]

I second it. Hey GSX, how long did your GS20's take to run in and what cables are you using?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Pim"][quote user="GSX-R"]However, I do keep them at hand for when friends with small kids drop by...[/quote]

Copy that! Or the cleaning lady...brrr![/quote]

Actually some of my friends without kids seem to be ADHDish and those cones look SO tactile!

[quote user="Damien Buckley"]I second it. Hey GSX, how long did your GS20's take to run in ... ?[/quote]

Mine are actually the GR (Gold Reference) 20 speakers, the predecessor of the current Gold Signature (GS) 20 speakers (you can still find these on the MA website under 'past products').

During the first two weeks I ran them non-stop and improvements were clearly noticeable. After that it became harder to actually notice improvements, but I'm pretty sure it has taken them the better part of two months to really blossom.

How I could tell? Well, in the beginning I really needed to use the supplied foam bungs to tune the bass ports (my speakers have two). But over time I've moved them to the other ports (with better results) and a month later or so I've removed the bungs all together.
At that point I've also repositioned them, as the turned out to be a bit less fussy about placement once the reached their true form.

[quote user="Damien Buckley"]... and what cables are you using?[/quote]

Actually I'm currently using some non-branded multi-strand OFC cable I got for free. I'm planning to upgrade (QED being on top of my list...), but I'm also contemplating a whole room re-arrangement and redecoration which I'll probably finish first...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts