Do speaker cables need run in time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chudleighpaul:There is a vast difference between a mains cable or wire carrying 230 volts at up to 13 amps and a speaker cable carrying a tiny voltage and a current in the milliamp range, and that is heat.

Mains cables do get warm and heat increases resistance. This effect would not be measurable in a decent speaker cable.

Everything is measureable if the equipments there to do it. If its as 'yet' unmeasureable but does in fact exist then its only a matter of time before it will be measureable

Very similar to Ben Duncans experiment that proved braided mains cables reduce mains bourne RFI and that this in turn 'measureably' affected an amps noise floor. Initially no one had measured it and it was all hearsay (Or snake oil in the minds of sceptics). Ben found a way of measureing it and the sceptics as of yet havnt done anything to counter his experiment (At least that im aware of)

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Can you point me towards Ben Duncans experiment? I'm really puzzled as to how screening 1m of mains cable can make a difference when that cable is connected to many many metres of ring main cabling that isn't screened.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."

- Demosthenes

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
b33k34:

Can you point me towards Ben Duncans experiment? I'm really puzzled as to how screening 1m of mains cable can make a difference when that cable is connected to many many metres of ring main cabling that isn't screened.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." - Demosthenes

Google is your friend

And it isnt 'screened' like you think, it removes RFI already in the mains supply regardless of the miles of cables to the house and the ring supply

That said, it does lessen the effects of airbourne EMI too, but that wasnt a part of Bens experiment

A

Anonymous

Does it really matter if they burn in or not. I don't think people change their cables from one month to the next. If they burn in it would happen or not anyway. It would only become a problem if the sound changed for the worse.

On these type of threads it always seems the people who believe say the got this or did and it altered their system in some way, that's it. Only the non believers get on their orange box. Get over it! Some people have spent their money on what they want and are happy.

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

Google is your friend

And it isnt 'screened' like you think, it removes RFI already in the mains supply regardless of the miles of cables to the house and the ring supply

That said, it does lessen the effects of airbourne EMI too, but that wasnt a part of Bens experiment

Really? What i find doens't seem to come up with what you suggest. Firstly articles/research by someone who has a site selling power conditioning products can hardly be considered independent. Secondly I came up with http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/AQMSFLY1.htm (apologies if that contravenes policy but i don't consider the man's site a competitor for this one so i don't think it should). That lists articles he has written on Groundwork
(earthing), Pure Power
(conditioner), Super Spur (mains
supply), and Pure Cycle
(special power for turntables).

Now all of those seem like fairly good ideas to me but are still likely to be more relevant if you're using a turntable (and he still sells a lot of turntables). None of those articles seem to be relevant to overpriced mains cables or burn in on speaker cable.

If you're going to refer to evidence it's at least useful to give a proper reference rather than just say 'google'

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
b33k34:aliEnRIK:

Google is your friend

Really? What i find doens't seem to come up with what you suggest. Firstly articles/research by someone who has a site selling power conditioning products can hardly be considered independent. Secondly I came up with http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/AQMSFLY1.htm (apologies if that contravenes policy but i don't consider the man's site a competitor for this one so i don't think it should). That lists articles he has written on Groundwork (earthing), Pure Power (conditioner), Super Spur (mains supply), and Pure Cycle (special power for turntables).

Now all of those seem like fairly good ideas to me but are still likely to be more relevant if you're using a turntable (and he still sells a lot of turntables). None of those articles seem to be relevant to overpriced mains cables or burn in on speaker cable.

If you're going to refer to evidence it's at least useful to give a proper reference rather than just say 'google'

Ive posted all this before

Do you REALLY need to me to find them for you?

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
NSYGrinner:

Does it really matter if they burn in or not. I don't think people change their cables from one month to the next. If they burn in it would happen or not anyway. It would only become a problem if the sound changed for the worse.

On these type of threads it always seems the people who believe say the got this or did and it altered their system in some way, that's it. Only the non believers get on their orange box. Get over it! Some people have spent their money on what they want and are happy.

Agreed 1+

A

Anonymous

007L2Thrill:NSYGrinner:

Agreed 1+Disagreed -1 . People also believe the earth is flat. Is it wrong to express a contrary opinion? Also some people have not wasted money on some things and are even happier. Get over it!

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh:007L2Thrill:NSYGrinner:

Agreed 1+Disagreed -1 . People also believe the earth is flat. Is it wrong to express a contrary opinion? Also some people have not wasted money on some things and are even happier. Get over it!

Over what? The op asked a perfectly civil question and the ranters jump on their orange boxes again zzzzzzzzzzz. I got my cables as part of the subs offer. So I'm really happy. Cheap mag through the door on a Saturday morning and a nice blue bit of cable which makes it easy to identify in amongst the mass of cables hidden away behind my system.

If there is no merit in unpgrading mains cables, then are all the non believers saying that What Hifi's reviews are of no merit. If they are wrong about a mains cable are they wrong about other things hifi/av related? Equipment racks, speaker stands etc

For the record I did notice an improvement with my amp. Not £65 worth I admit but it didn't cost me that did it. Also I didn't notice any improvements with the Tacima power the tv, Sky+ box and Wii. I did notice a big improvement with my cd,bd,dvd,dock and X-box360 connected in that order.

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner:Tarquinh:007L2Thrill:NSYGrinner:

Over what? The op asked a perfectly civil question and the ranters jump on their orange boxes again zzzzzzzzzzz. I got my cables as part of the subs offer. So I'm really happy. Cheap mag through the door on a Saturday morning and a nice blue bit of cable which makes it easy to identify in amongst the mass of cables hidden away behind my system.

If there is no merit in unpgrading mains cables, then are all the non believers saying that What Hifi's reviews are of no merit. If they are wrong about a mains cable are they wrong about other things hifi/av related? Equipment racks, speaker stands etc

For the record I did notice an improvement with my amp. Not £65 worth I admit but it didn't cost me that did it. Also I didn't notice any improvements with the Tacima power the tv, Sky+ box and Wii. I did notice a big improvement with my cd,bd,dvd,dock and X-box360 connected in that order.

No, not quite. If you look back over this thread you'll there haven't been any rants, except for yours. The topic is about speaker cable run-in, and most seem to accept it doesn't happen

Haven't read back over the thread, but I don't think anybody has said anything about WHF or its reviews, nor do I think WHF has said anything itself about the topic. Time to get down from your orange box, I think.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts