Do pre amp really make a difference??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all. Just ordered a pair of B&W 804s and can't wait for delivery. I was thinking of buying a new or pre owned amp in the coming year but when I visited a different Hifi store and they suggested I upgrade my pre-amp first. Currently I'm running a rotel 1080 two channel amp the there basic 2 channel RC 1070. Does upgrading to a new rotel rc 1082 make sense or make that much difference in sound???

Thanks for the suggestions.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
The preamp is the hardest thing to build well.Any man and his dog can make a decent power amp but good preamps are much tougher.The budget rotel preamps are junk imo and a better pre will give a good improvement.

A

Anonymous

Ask Naim !

A quality pre is undoubtedly the most important part of the chain - you can have the best source and the best amplifier or speakers, but if the element joining those things together is robbing or affecting the signal, all is lost..... A bit like good interconnects, the best pre-amps aim to be asÿtransparentÿas possible, taking nothing away from the source signal. A look inside a Naim 552 shows it's an awful lot more complicated than a volume dial !

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Just a volume pot in a box can work very well and be made cheaply if you want a easy diy job.Just a alps blue in a box would make a decent passive preamp and sound better than the rotel.My brother says ive got a preamp fetish cos ive got about 14 of them many simple passives and some exotic ones with dact stepped pot and even a very good tvc preamp.Depends what you want from your preamp how many imputs and if you want remote control and a phono stage ect.

TRENDING THREADS