Do i still need to upgrade my av receiver for 4k blu ray?

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
it was debateable if you needed to upgrade your receiver to enjoy 4k blu rays when they come out next year as there might be a way around it. if i need to upgrade is denon or sony the better choice? i have sony 1040

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Your alternative is to keep your existing AV receiver and get a 4K blu ray player with twin HDMI outs.

hmm. if they have those for a reasonable price that may be the way to go. so how would i connect everything? av to blu ray and then blu ray to tv
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
HDMI 1 from blu ray player to TV for picture, and HDMI 2 from blu ray player to AV receiver for sound.

dang. i just thought..then if i do that i cant use my audio system unless i watch films? no good for games, youtube etc? maybe a new avr i will have to get. come next year the sony 1060 or denon 2200w will be £300 anyway not too expensive and i can get maybe £150 for my 1040 on classifieds

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
dang. i just thought..then if i do that i cant use my audio system unless i watch films? no good for games, youtube etc?

I'm afraid I cannot follow your line of thought...

BB is talking about connecting your potential future 4K BDP to your system containing a non-4K AVR. Playing computer games requires a different device altogether, be it a PC or console, and this'll be connected to your AVR independently of your BDP. You'll still be able to route this signal via the AVR to the TV as you are currently, that future 4K BDP doesn't affect that.

You'd be having two HDMI leads going into your prospective 4K TV, one from the AVR (as presently) and one from the 4K BDP, so instead of switching to the "AVR" input on your TV you'll be selecting the BDP directly. Everything else remains.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
7760 said:
nugget2014 said:
dang. i just thought..then if i do that i cant use my audio system unless i watch films? no good for games, youtube etc?

I'm afraid I cannot follow your line of thought...

BB is talking about connecting your potential future 4K BDP to your system containing a non-4K AVR. Playing computer games requires a different device altogether, be it a PC or console, and this'll be connected to your AVR independently of your BDP. You'll still be able to route this signal via the AVR to the TV as you are currently, that future 4K BDP doesn't affect that.

You'd be having two HDMI leads going into your prospective 4K TV, one from the AVR (as presently) and one from the 4K BDP, so instead of switching to the "AVR" input on your TV you'll be selecting the BDP directly. Everything else remains.

so the Blu Ray player can pass the audio to tv without it being on?

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Derbuckle said:
Can't you just plug the bluray player into your TV and your TV into your receiver and pass the audio through?

Sure, if you want ANY sound. However, the discreet 5.1/7.1 signal would be lost by being downmixed by the TV.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts