Do I stick with the Denon DVD1930 or upgrade to BluRay and which Machine

RogerLeslie

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
I have the following system. Epsom Projector EMP-TW700, Sony STR DA1200ES, Denon DVD player 1930, Acoustic Energy Aego T speakers. Am thinking of upgrading to BluRay but will need performance for DVD's at least as good as the Denon. Is compatibility and issue with the Sony amplifier and the projector which is not true HD? Will a BluRay player be a major improvement in performance over the Denon? Comments from others most welcome.

Other issue have placed the two front left and right speakers on metal stands but how do you firmly fix the AE speakers with cloth base firmly onto stand?

RogerLeslie

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The Epson supports 720p, so using a Blu-Ray player with Blu-Rays will be a noticeable step up in picture quality over DVDs, especially on a big screen. Since the Epson has no HDMI, you would need a component output on the Blu-Ray player. With your amplifier, you'd need a player with multi-channel outputs so this leaves you with a best choice (on the budget end) of the Sony BDP-S550 or the Panasonic DMP-BD55.
Depending on your budget, even better improvements in PQ and SQ could be found from the Pioneer BDP-LX71, though this currently lacks the ability to decode the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks, though I have heard it is said to be coming in a future firmware upgrade. The other issue on this player is lack of Profile 2.0 - possibly not an issue if you're not bothered about online content, but see Clare's blog on other potential pitfalls with this.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:The Epson supports 720p, so using a Blu-Ray player with Blu-Rays will be a noticeable step up in picture quality over DVDs, especially on a big screen. Since the Epson has no HDMI, you would need a component output on the Blu-Ray player. With your amplifier, you'd need a player with multi-channel outputs so this leaves you with a best choice (on the budget end) of the Sony BDP-S550 or the Panasonic DMP-BD55.
Depending on your budget, even better improvements in PQ and SQ could be found from the Pioneer BDP-LX71, though this currently lacks the ability to decode the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks, though I have heard it is said to be coming in a future firmware upgrade. The other issue on this player is lack of Profile 2.0 - possibly not an issue if you're not bothered about online content, but see Clare's blog on other potential pitfalls with this.

I agree. I would go for the Sony BD player - I have it and it's excellent.

A

Anonymous

How does the DVD playback on these sony BR players compare to the likes of the Denon? I also have a Denon (1940) and am considering passing it on to get either the sony 350 or 550.

Is it possible to get a BR player to play multi region DVD's (non blue ray)?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty sure Mr Snails has said previously he owned a Denon 1940, and that his 550 is better at DVD duties than his Denon was.

I'm sure he'll be along soon to either confirm or refute this.

TRENDING THREADS