Do I need new speakers?

CecilyParsley

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I have quite modest and old-fashioned needs that mainly involve classical music! My Sony Mini Hi-Fi MHC-2500 purchased in 1991 is on its way out - tape gave up ages ago, CD player wouldn't play newest CDs and has now died, FM tuner/ amp fine, 1992 Dual CS 503-2 turntable input into amp's phono sockets fine, SS-H2500 speakers also fine.

But I need to play CDs (I don't download music or own MP3), so am thinking of replacing system with Denon RCD-M39DAB which can be purchased without its associated speakers. It appears to me that my existing Sony SS-H2500 speakers (14cm woofer, 5cm tweeter, 2cm super tweeter, max. 60W, 6ohm) are as good as, if not better than, the recommended SCF109 speakers for this system (12cm woofer, 2.5cm tweeter, 6ohm, but fancy sounding 'crossover network' and 'anti-vibration crossbar' - whatever they are!). Am I right? Should I at least try using my old speakers. Or will I get better sound with the SCF109s?

Most of my online research suggests I will need a phono pre-amp between the turntable and the Denon's analogue input. Would you have a reasonably-priced recommendation?

CecilyParsley

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations, but my question was about whether I NEEDED new speakers e.g. for system to work at all, or to get good quality sound. I could afford new speakers, and could give the old ones to a charity shop, but I also have quite old-fashioned ideas about not replacing perfectly functional stuff just for the sake of it.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Cecily,

Of course you can try your old speakers with the new system. With a 6 Ohm impedance they shouldn't upset any half-decent amplifier.

They will most likely sound different from more modern designs, but it will be up to you to decide which presentation you like best. Older speakers often sound softer, less upfront. Which in itself is not a bad thing.

(Says the owner of a pair of perfectly fine 20-year old bookshelf speakers)

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
CecilyParsley said:
Actually I don't, I'd rather just use the ones I have if they will work well. I came here for advice, not to be mocked.

LOL I almost threw up my coffe there ! This definitively be my laugh of the week ! ;)

Makes me want to tell you that Its nice the way you seems not so attached to material like we people here sadly are. Dont change !

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Something like this would do you as a pre-amp:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntable-accessories/cambridge-audio/azur-551p/camb-551p-blk

This TEAC may be worth a listen as well as it has a phono stage. So for the same price as the Denon + preamp You'd have it all in one box together with streaming facilites you may want to dabble with in the future:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/mini-hi-fi/teac/crh700dab/teac-crh700dab-blk

Perhaps take your speakers along to listen to with the Denon & then have a listen to some budget alternatives while you're there.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
No need for new speakers, unless you dont like how they sound with the Denon. But you will need a phono stage, somewhere like Richer Sounds will have a choice that are fairly inexpensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts