Do I need Banana Plugs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently bought some QED silver anniversary cable for my front and centre speaker and some Ixos XHS233 Adhesive flat speaker cable for my rears. I know that if you don't have an air tight connection for your speaker cable then it can oxidise and reduce sound quality.

I think there are two options to avoid that, by either soldering your wire to a plug or using those QED airloc cables. However I have already bought my cables so can't get them fitted with the airloc plugs and I don't have or know how to solder.

Say if my speaker cables were a year old what sort of sound loss would I get, would it even be detectable to the human ear if you ran two sets side by side, one with perfect cables and one with normal bare wire?

I want the best for my system but there is a limit.

I currently just trap the wire into the speaker terminals on all my speakers and my amp.

Thanks

Stu

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Depending on the type of cable I have always re-cut the cable once a year (its only about 2 cm's of length you lose per year), and approx. once a month I have tightened the screws on the amp and speakers. It's not very much they can be tightened, but it is possible.

You should be able to get your local hifi-dealer to solder your cables with banan-plugs. As a matter of fact I'm gettting mine plugged as we speak. I got tired of the above :)

A

Anonymous

The problem I would have is that my rear cable is under the carpet and stuck to the walls so I can't take the cables anywhere.

It would seem that I will have to take the drop in quality, if I do actually notice any difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts