Do i need an AV Amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I will be purchasing a new set up soon and have been drawn in to the AV buzz that is currently happening. My real dilemma is, do i really ned an AV amp or should i stick with the tried and tested stereo amp? I have been looking at the Onkyo 905 as i believe it should recognise my Napster files without the need for a sonos system, is that correct?

My current usage is divided up by the following:-

30% music from Napster, 10% from I Tunes, 10% CD, 5% LP, 35% TV viewing, 10% movies

I have been using an old stereo amp at the moment but find it really lacks when watching movies.

I have a budget of around £2.5k.

A

Anonymous

If you get a decent a/v amp and speakers then the mere fact you'll be getting proper surround sound is worth the upgrade imo.

R

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The fact that only 10% of your listening is movies worries me a bit on this as AV amps can't offer the same musical experience as their stereo counterparts (at the same price range anyway) and since the majority of your listening is to music in some form or other, you may find it's compromised if you're used to a standard hi-fi.

What's your current setup? Also, of the 35% television viewing, is this standard Freeview, Sky, Sky HD?

A

Anonymous

Current set up is Denon PMA 700 amp with some old Wharfedale speakers as fronts and some old Aiwa speakers from a previous system as rears. Tv is Sky + and probably going to upgrade to Sky HD

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, this makes a better case for the AV amp then if you're looking at Onkyo 905 territory as I think this will be able to perform just as well when in a Pure Direct mode. I would look to get a decent traditional home speaker package (like the B&W 685 Home Theatre system or the Monitor Audio RS1 AV package) which have a decent pair of stereo fronts for all your music listening.

Remember, you'll need to get a phono pre-amp for your LP listening as I doubt any AV amps will come with a phono input on them - don't know much about them so hopefully someone else can advise on this.

A

Anonymous

I was looking at the Quad 22L2 as fronts, 12L2 as rears and a centre speaker as i can get a really good deal on those locally.

Also how does the Onkyo 905 compare to the Pioneer VSXLX70?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
That's fine, my two were just examples really - make sure you listen before you buy and don't forget the sub!

[quote user="nin73"]Also how does the Onkyo 905 compare to the Pioneer VSXLX70?[/quote]
Haven't heard either so will hand over to more experienced folk at this point!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts