Do I need a phono stage?

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'm excited about getting my first turntable. I've currently got a denon 2808 and have since i've been in to hi-fi i've largely gone down the digital route - currently most of the music I listen to is lossless streamed FLAC audio from a pc via a sqeezebox. But I feel like trying something completely different so am going to look for a turntable for betwen £100-150

With my Denon 2808 do I need a phono stage or can I plug the turntable with an MM cartridge straight into the amp?

Thanks

Simon

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
kingnothing83 said:
Hi,

I'm excited about getting my first turntable. I've currently got a denon 2808 and have since i've been in to hi-fi i've largely gone down the digital route - currently most of the music I listen to is lossless streamed FLAC audio from a pc via a sqeezebox. But I feel like trying something completely different so am going to look for a turntable for betwen £100-150

With my Denon 2808 do I need a phono stage or can I plug the turntable with an MM cartridge straight into the amp?

Thanks

Simon
It looks to me that it has a Phono in stage so you will be ok. No idea how good it will be though.

Wheres my kit gone?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I don't wish to put you off or dampen your enthusiasm, but you may be disappointed with the performance of a £100 turntable against your CD and digital replay.

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the input!

All comments are helpful, even if it isnt what I want to hear...

I'm happy with my current setup, I used to have a stero amp connected up as well (the denon 2808 has pre-outs) but I find that sadly I only have the chance to listen to music for 2-3 hours a week so couldnt justify keeping it - so I guess I'd just like to try something new.

The currently quality I am getting with the digital setup is extremely good to my ears but I recently heard some vinyl and though it would be great to hear something different.

Any recommendations for a second hand setup? I'm looking some reliability as well as performance as I'm not too confident tinkering with belts etc!

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts