Do I need a headphone amplifier?

neilmistry

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I recently purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums (32 Ohm) which I use with with NAD C 370 amplifier and my NAD 541i CDP and Squeezebox. The headphones are easily driven by the amp, but would I benefit from a dedicated headphone amp? Will I hear a noticable sound improvement? If so, what would be a good one to go for?

Thanks,

Neil.

If your amplifier is happy driving this type of headphone and you are happy with the sound then I would say save your money and spend it on more music.
If you are unhappy with resulting sound then best idea is to see if you can borrow one from anyone you know and give it a try. There is a great range of headphone amplifiers out there both in quality and price. If you feel you need to try one then keep an eye on the forums and maybe get one second hand - if you decide you do not like it you can always sell it on.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
IMO - definitely! I won't recommend ones for obvious reasons but I really do feel that a good headphone amp is necessary for getting the most out of your set up.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
neilmistry said:
I recently purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 Premiums (32 Ohm) which I use with with NAD C 370 amplifier and my NAD 541i CDP and Squeezebox. The headphones are easily driven by the amp, but would I benefit from a dedicated headphone amp? Will I hear a noticable sound improvement? If so, what would be a good one to go for?

Thanks,

Neil.

IMO no, a headphone amplifier will have a different sound signature to you NAD integrated amp. One would assume you like the sound signature of the NAD since you brought it though but if you were finding the NAD and Beyer combination a bit warm sounding you could go down the headphone amp route to change it. But headphone amplifiers only offer subtle changes the predominant sound signature will always be the DT 880's which by the way are very nice cans.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts