Do I need a DTS capable system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
1) I have found a great deal on a LG HT805PH system. Basically a 5.1 channel set up, two tall boy speakers, 2 wall mount 850 watts etc. I noticed on the spec however that it does Dolby and Dolby 2 but no DTS? How important is DTS? This will be my first home cinema system and I occasionally watch blu-ray via dvd but the whole collection is mostly DVD. Dont Blu-rays have separate dolby and DTS tracks?

2) If I upgrade the included DVD player to a blu ray in the future will it be compatible with the set-up, or will I have to upgrade the speakers etc to accomodate the blu ray?

Thanks all, just want to make sure im not buying something that will be obsolete in 6 months !

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
1. Astonishingly, it seems you're right and that LG won't decode DTS (can't imagine why this has been left out in this day and age!). Blu-rays, like DVDs, don't generally have both soundtracks, they have one or the other. More and more Blu-rays are also only including a DTS HD Master Audio soundtrack which allows the standard DTS "core" track to be output over the optical output for those without HDMI capable amplifiers. Given this, I suspect this is why the LG is so cheap. Most DVDs will have the Dolby Digital soundtrack so you'll be fine with these, but I personally would look to get an all-in-one which includes DTS decoding so you can at least enjoy this.

2. Virtually all Blu-ray players will be 5.1 compatible with any all-in-one with an optical input and both Dolby Digital and DTS decoding (clearly the Blu-ray player itself would need to have an optical output). You'll get "standard definition" 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks with this. Ideally, you want an all-in-one which has an HDMI input and the ability to decode the new Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio formats to get "high definition" audio soundtracks. These will probably be more expensive however. In both cases, there would be no need to upgrade the speakers to enjoy Blu-rays.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Proffesorhat. Bit worrying about the DTS format missing from the LG. I will definately upgrade to Blu Ray in the near future so suspect I should perhaps look for a different model. The Sony DVZ330.Cek is one option but this doesnt have tall boy speakers and ive read criticism that it doesnt have stand alone bass and treble adjustment ???? Its a shame about the LG, was cracking good value :(

A

Anonymous

I have seen this model which is DTS included but its only 500 watts and my room is quite long, so not sure if that wattage is enough? Samsung HT-C453N/XEU

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
500 watts is usually enough depends on the size of your room!!

The Sony can be had for just less than £250 here & is only £30 more if you budget can stretch that far, admittedly though it does not have tallboy speakers but will have all the sound formats, play your dvd's, upscale them & play blu-ray dvd.

A

Anonymous

Dont want to look a bit naieve here but im guessing the DVD player houses the decoding element of the system? Just thinking then, that if I change to blu-ray at a later date (sadly has to be a later date due to funding), then the blu ray player will be DTS capable and I can just keep the speakers for the new player, assuming they are compatible?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
With an all-in-one system, the DVD / Blu-ray player and the amplifier / decoders are all normally housed in the same box. This means if you wanted to upgrade a DVD system to play Blu-rays later, you would still have to keep the DVD / amplifier box and plug the Blu-ray player into this as an extra piece of equipment i.e. you can't just plug the speakers directly into the new Blu-ray player.

I really think your best bet would be to get an all-in-one Blu-ray system, even if this means saving up a bit longer to pay the extra for the systems with the tall boy speakers. It'll save you money in the long run, you'll be getting the benefit of the HD audio soundtracks (which believe me is a big benefit) and you won't need to worry about having to accommodate extra bits of kit down the line.

Just to check, are you looking to plug any other devices into this sound system e.g. TV, Sky, games machine etc.?

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for your answers and patience !!! Yes I want to plug in my Sky HD box, wii and PS3 in to it as well. The sony one looks good !! I have seen a pic of one with tall boy speakers on too so maybe these are available separately?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The BDV-E870 comes with the tall boy speakers, though looks like it's harder to get hold of, probably because the 880 is due to replace it soon. There's also this Samsung HTBD1252 but no idea what its performance is like.

However, if you want to plug in all those devices, you need to ensure anything you buy has enough inputs. PS3 ideally wants HDMI, but optical will do (especially if you're not using it for Blu-ray), Sky HD probably needs optical (but may have coaxial output, you'd need to check) and the Wii needs standard analogue inputs.

A

Anonymous

Proffesor Hat, you are sir a wealth of knowledge a an extremely helpful gent, ta for all the input !!! Much appreciated !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts