Do I need a DAC?

sparkywilson

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I would like a recommendation please on the best kit to buy so that I can remotely connect my iphone to my stereo? I currently have an ageing Denon AV reciever and am connecting the iphone via a Russ Andrews GQ-24 cable. I have been very impressed with the sound quality but would like a remote way of connecting that hopefully doesn't involve a noticable loss of sound quality.

So I have done a bit of research and it looks as though a bluetooth DAC would be the way to go. I had in mind either the Arcam miniblink or the Musical Fidelity V90BLU. The miniblink gets good reviews altough limited connectivity but the V90BLU is quite new and I haven't seen any reviews of this as yet. The latter also costs £120 more and am wondering if the addtional cost is justified. Connection wise I could connect to the AV via analogue or digital.

I have never owned a DAC before. Does what I am saying make sense or should I be connecting some other way? If a DAC is the way to go which one should I go for and what would be the best way to connect it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

sparkywilson

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your help Overdose. I will look into that. I tried Apple TV before the Russell Andrews cable and took it back because I thought it sounded tinny. Won't the express just be the same sound quality?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The ATV should not sound tinny and neither should the AEX. It sounds more like a settings issue.

The AEX can be connected via optical or analogue through the dual purpose 3.5mm socket on the back.

sparkywilson

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks. Do you think that would be a setting issue with the ATV? Do you know if I would see a sound improvement if I were to route the ATV (or AE) through a DAC into my AV or would it be a waste of money?
Thanks again!

Sparky

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Presumably, the output from the ATV was via HDMI to your receiver, or did you use optical? In either case, settings for iTunes, the ATV audio or in the receiver are the likely culprits, most probably the receiver.

I don't really rate the ATV overall, but not for its lack of sound quality, more its awkward interface. The AEX is very good and I personally wouldn't bother with a DAC. There is generally little need for standalone dedicated DACs these days anyway, as most digital sources are all much of a muchness, ie very good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts