Do I need a DAC?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello!  I currently have a Cambridge Audio Amp, CDP and DAB.  I connect my Mac wirlessley using Airwaves which then connects to my Aux Input on the amp.  I have been reading with interest about DACs and the benefits people are getting.  I guess my question is... in three parts!!  1) would I be complicating matters adding a DAC 2) Would I need to bypass my airwaves and connect my Mac direct to it?  3) Would the improvement using Apple Loseless be worth the spend?  Down to the experts.... Many thanks in advance.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Alan Arnold:Hello! ÿI currently have a Cambridge Audio Amp, CDP and DAB. ÿI connect my Mac wirlessley using Airwaves which then connects to my Aux Input on the amp. ÿI have been reading with interest about DACs and the benefits people are getting. ÿI guess my question is... in three parts!! ÿ1) would I be complicating matters adding a DAC 2) Would I need to bypass my airwaves and connect my Mac direct to it? ÿ3) Would the improvement using Apple Loseless be worth the spend? ÿDown to the experts.... Many thanks in advance.

What amp and speakers do you have?

A

Anonymous

Amp is CA Azur 540A V2 and the speakers are MS 902i. ÿCheers.

A

Anonymous

What would you reccomend as an upgrade amp and speaker package? Ive had my eye on the B&W 685 but was unsure whether they would be overkill for my existing system in which case would I also benefit from the NAD C355BEE?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Alan Arnold:What would you reccomend as an upgrade amp and speaker package? Ive had my eye on the B&W 685 but was unsure whether they would be overkill for my existing system in which case would I also benefit from the NAD C355BEE?

I've said on here before that I believe the DacMagic being fed lossless files is up there with most cd players up to £1k. Therefore, to get the best out of it, you would be better off with a £500 plus stereo amp and similar speakers. The B&W speakers you mention would definitely not be overkill if you improved your amp and used the DM with your computer.

Basically, adding a £700-£1000 cd player to your current amp and speakers would be pointless as they would not bring the best out of it.

A

Anonymous

If your selective you won't need to spend £500 on an amp, look into the NAD 320BEE, 325BEE, and the new 326BEE.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:[snip]......adding a £700-£1000 cd player to your current amp and speakers would be pointless as they would not bring the best out of it.
But there's no reason why you shouldn't get the DAC with a view to upgrade the rest of your kit later. Very few of us can afford to get a whole system in one go.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:Gerrardasnails:[snip]......adding a £700-£1000 cd player to your current amp and speakers would be pointless as they would not bring the best out of it.
But there's no reason why you shouldn't get the DAC with a view to upgrade the rest of your kit later. Very few of us can afford to get a whole system in one go.

Agreed.

TRENDING THREADS