Visit site
Hi, the system is

Roksan Kandy CDP (2nd hand)
Arcam A70 amp (new)
Epos M5i (new)
Linn Intertconnects (new)
Old speaker cable (12 yrs old)
A tacima mains cond block (new)

I have noticed that i can hear some background 'hiss' if the recording is a very vocal artist eg Nora Jones is this some kind of interferance or is it a system weakness? should i try some new speaker cables? had the amp and speakers for about 5 weeks so they should be run in?

Also sometimes the CDP skips a few seconds, usually on tack 1 and its happened on a brand new cd now.......is it time for replacement or service?

John Duncan

Skipping could be disk or player, but I'd get a three quid CD lens cleaner from HMV for starters - condensation or fluff on the lens probably.

As for the hiss, you can probably rule out cables/interference and running in. Does the amp hiss when there's no signal and you turn it up loud? Mine does (well it's more of a hum). But the fact that you can hear it while there's music on suggests it's the disk, though Norah Jones is pretty well recorded so it surprises me a little........

Things to try:

Do you get the hiss with and without the mains block?
Do you get it from all inputs of the amp (plug the CDP into others and investigate)?
Does the hiss appear just before a track begins (which suggests the recording)?
Do you have anything that might cause interference near you requipment or in the mains (tv, cordless phones etc, and especially mains-borne ethernet, which is the work of the devil)?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
A quick test (similar to John's above) is just to play a CD, press pause, and then turn the volume up.

If there is no hiss, then the chances are that it's on the recording, as you will have just tested everything from the CD player, amp, leads and speakers.

Oh, make sure you turn the volume down again before pressing play!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure why but I've always been advised not to use lens cleaners. Dunno, Google it first perhaps. I have a Kandy CDP and it's very sensitive to CD dirt, scratches, etc. In fact, it doesn't really play any copied CDs either. It doesn't input any hiss though.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
thanks guys, i am off to new jersey for work stuff later but will perform the tests you suggest and get the cleaner disc too...when i get back at the weekend.

hope its not the cdp!

cheers

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Does the amp hiss when there's no signal and you turn it up loud? Mine does (well it's more of a hum).

Your amp hums JD?

;-)

John Duncan

JoelSim:Funny. My A85/P85 is as quiet as a mouse. Nice they are

emotion-11.gif

This is at a volume of 80 (while I listen at 10-20). I shall, in my reformed non-Arcam-baiting guise, resist using the 'mouse' reference to my own ends.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I had both the Roksan Kandy KC-1 (MK2 & MK3), and they both skipped, although there never was any hissing. And yes, they don't play CDR's for some reason.

I am very happy with my Rega Apollo.

John Duncan

JoelSim:JohnDuncan:Does the amp hiss when there's no signal and you turn it up loud? Mine does (well it's more of a hum).

Your amp hums JD?

;-)

Panic over - it hums because the CD player is sitting on top of it - no CDP, no hum
emotion-5.gif

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
right the hiss is the recording......sorted :) still is skipping but i will be cleaning over the next day or so, also a couple of other improvements/tweaks in the offing...am going to mass load the speaker stands, get a proper rack then get some decent biwire speaker cable, any suggestions on the rack and cable area??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts