Do HDMI cables make a difference?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
Wow, I've never read that before! It was certainly interesting reading. As someone who has bought expensive HDMI cables on WHF recommendations, it was good to read. Things had certainly gone quiet on the HDMI and cable front and I was wondering what your take was now, so it's good to hear you are still sticking to your guns.

I disagree, it's a bit disheartening to read somebody basically say contrary to all the evidence we still believe x,y and z even though our methodology is pretty useless in trying to work out differences, or words to that effect. Just seems like a massive I believe what I believe and nothing is going to change my mind, even if you can prove it :(

edit: although thinking about it, I guess they just can't really turn round and say that all the reviews they've done in the past are bunkum and they've made a big mistake can they? So I guess they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

D

Deleted member 2457

cheeseboy said:
gel said:
Wow, I've never read that before! It was certainly interesting reading. As someone who has bought expensive HDMI cables on WHF recommendations, it was good to read. Things had certainly gone quiet on the HDMI and cable front and I was wondering what your take was now, so it's good to hear you are still sticking to your guns.

I disagree, it's a bit disheartening to read somebody basically say contrary to all the evidence we still believe x,y and z even though our methodology is pretty useless in trying to work out differences, or words to that effect. Just seems like a massive I believe what I believe and nothing is going to change my mind, even if you can prove it :(

edit: although thinking about it, I guess they just can't really turn round and say that all the reviews they've done in the past are bunkum and they've made a big mistake can they? So I guess they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Agreed. They do seem to be in a bit of a predicament. Good to hear where they still stand though.

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
relocated said:
There was a WHF Edited by mods that spouted some complete trash about cables that caused the most reaction ever to an editorial piece, earlier this year. Can't remember if it was about hdmi but it caused hyper-howling from the masses.

The article (and the response to the now non-existent comments*) witten by Andy Madden is here ...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/great-cable-debate-crossed-wires

Despite WHF disabling their search facility (handy in this case), you can still search for such items using Google and 'site:www.whathifi.com' like this ...

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%22notes+from+the+listening+rooms%22+site:www.whathifi.com

... it helps if you know whether the article was a "Notes From The Listening Rooms" piece (or "Industry Insider" or "How To" or "The Week In HD" etc.) And it helps even more if you know some keywords or the author's name. Nowadays everything is lumped under "News"

*There were (IIRC) some 90 - 100 responses (unprecedented for a 'blog' item). However the website change wiped all comments from all reviews, news items and blogs!
What were the comments saying Chebby? Ta

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
chebby said:
relocated said:
There was a WHF Edited by mods that spouted some complete trash about cables that caused the most reaction ever to an editorial piece, earlier this year. Can't remember if it was about hdmi but it caused hyper-howling from the masses.

The article (and the response to the now non-existent comments*) witten by Andy Madden is here ...

Despite WHF disabling their search facility (handy in this case), you can still search for such items using Google and 'site:www.whathifi.com' like this ...

http://web.archive.org/web/20140808043450/http://www.whathifi.com/news/great-cable-debate-crossed-wires

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
cheeseboy said:

But doesn't an admission of faith-based reviewing throw doubt on the validity of their verdicts on a wider range of kit?

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi WHF

Any chance of a similar article on Blu-Ray players, please? Because spending £1300 against the new Pioneer's LX58 and LX88 to spending £600 is a big difference. I have personally seen differences in Blu-Ray players before but I accept most are the same too. I think it does need a bit of clarification from someone in an article where you still stand, please. Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

chebby said:
gel said:
chebby said:
relocated said:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140808043450/http://www.whathifi.com/news/great-cable-debate-crossed-wires
Okay, cheers.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
spiny norman said:
But doesn't an admission of faith-based reviewing throw doubt on the validity of their verdicts on a wider range of kit?

completely, but that's why I added the edit, like I say, they can't really win i guess in that respect. I've always viewed magazines such as this subjective based reviews and not really any authority on anything other than one, or a few peoples preferences between a couple of bits of kit. I think it's just that with the move in to digital, the laces have come undone a bit and they have been and can be caught tripping up so as to speak.

The basic kind of crux of the whole digital realm with streamers, networks etc is that it's a very very well established sector and kind of only new to hifi part, and what I've seen happen is people in the hifi world try to apply everything they know from hifi to things that just aren't applicable in the computer world. If what those hifi people say were true about cables, hard drives etc, the internet just wouldn't work, and in turn, this very forum that i'm typing this on just wouldn't exist. So there's a kind of irony in there that some people want to use a technology to argue that digital isn't digital, yet the fact they can argue that point on this forum is very proof to contradict what they say... :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
If what those hifi people say were true about cables, hard drives etc, the internet just wouldn't work, and in turn, this very forum that i'm typing this on just wouldn't exist. So there's a kind of irony in there that some people want to use a technology to argue that digital isn't digital, yet the fact they can argue that point on this forum is very proof to contradict what they say... :)

This forum is not exactly the shining example of digital absolutism you need to support your argument :)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
This forum is not exactly the shining example of digital absolutism you need to support your argument :)

hehehe, I know what you mean, but my point still stands, I think you might have missed what I was saying (apologies if you didn't).

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
cheeseboy said:
chebby said:

hehehe, I know what you mean, but my point still stands, I think you might have missed what I was saying (apologies if you didn't).

I know what you were saying. (It's hardly difficult to understand.) Just being frivolous.

hehehe, it's ok, i just wanted to make sure as I tend to rant on sometimes and then I read it back and I can't even understand what I've written :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
chebby said:

I know what you were saying. (It's hardly difficult to understand.) Just being frivolous.

It's like religious fundamentalists who deny science all over the World Wide Web (and via cable TV and mobile phones and radio technology).

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
relocated said:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%22notes+from+the+listening+rooms%22+site:www.whathifi.com

... it helps if you know whether the article was a "Notes From The Listening Rooms" piece (or "Industry Insider" or "How To" or "The Week In HD" etc.) And it helps even more if you know some keywords or the author's name. Nowadays everything is lumped under "News"

*There were (IIRC) some 90 - 100 responses (unprecedented for a 'blog' item). However the website change wiped all comments from all reviews, news items and blogs!

Well done Chebby, I knew you'd remember and be able to find the piece.

Isn't it amazing that this Forum has spammers, swearers and bullies that, if one is able to 'Report', nothing happens to and yet a very mildly critical word, used in relation to a WHF employee, gets jumped on immediately. Nice level playing field there Mods, congratulations.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Hi WHF

Any chance of a similar article on Blu-Ray players, please?  Because spending £1300 against the new Pioneer's LX58 and LX88 to spending £600 is a big difference.  I have personally seen differences in Blu-Ray players before but I accept most are the same too.  I think it does need a bit of clarification from someone in an article where you still stand, please.  Cheers

I don't think you've quite grasped the general tone of this thread, gel. ;-)

relocated said:
Isn't it amazing that this Forum has spammers, swearers and bullies that, if one is able to 'Report', nothing happens to and yet a very mildly critical word, used in relation to a WHF employee, gets jumped on immediately.  Nice level playing field there Mods, congratulations.

I think you're being unnecessarily unfair. WHF have repeatedly explained to you that certain features don't work (like the "Report" button) and they're working on sorting the website out. Remember that controversial threads like these attract the mods more than a regular Hi Fi thread to ensure house rules are being followed. You can't give excuses for not following house rules and freely abusing WHF staff.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I think you're being unnecessarily unfair. WHF have repeatedly explained to you that certain features don't work (like the "Report" button) and they're working on sorting the website out.
Yes, but they've been saying that for several years. Years, mind, not months, and the last rejig was supposed to sort out all the problems people have been complaining about for ages, but instead made several things much worse.

All they're doing now is struggling to put it back to its previous state (ie not that good), not improving anything.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
bigboss said:
I think you're being unnecessarily unfair. WHF have repeatedly explained to you that certain features don't work (like the "Report" button) and they're working on sorting the website out.
Yes, but they've been saying that for several years. Years, mind, not months, and the last rejig was supposed to sort out all the problems people have been complaining about for ages, but instead made several things much worse.

All they're doing now is struggling to put it back to its previous state (ie not that good), not improving anything.

The report button worked prior to the last change, which wasn't that long ago, I've used it several times since and each time the issue has been dealt with, whether that's just a massive coincidence or not I don't know but it makes me feel powerful and important, so that's the main thing.

spiny norman said:
bigboss said:

This argument is going off topic to my intention of response to relocated. The bottomline is that the report button doesn't work and you can't use that as an excuse to not follow house rules.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
spiny norman said:
bigboss said:

This argument is going off topic to my intention of response to relocated. The bottomline is that the report button doesn't work and you can't use that as an excuse to not follow house rules.

You've fallen at the first hurdle there BB, because WHF have never repeatedly explained anything - particularly to me. There is plenty of excuses, ignoring the more uncomfortable things, repeating the things that we already know and instantly replying to any praise. Apparantly the 'Report' button is working ok for LhC at least.

Any way, lots of Corporate points to you, again. Now back on theme - HDMI cables, everybody.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
The report button worked prior to the last change, which wasn't that long ago, I've used it several times since and each time the issue has been dealt with, whether that's just a massive coincidence or not I don't know but it makes me feel powerful and important, so that's the main thing.

*biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

The report button seems to work for me, I just reported your post Norman for being off topic! *biggrin*

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Is it any wonder it's being ignored if it's constantly misused?

But back on topic, I'm still fascinated by the lack of recent reviews of HDMI cables, especially in the light of the blog outburst referred to above, which would seem to suggest a 'we know we're right and we don't care' attitude, and then – silence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts