Do cables have a limited useful life?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I was told that cables, and I'm referring to both interconnects and speaker cables, deteriorate over time and that they should be replaced after 8 years or so. Is there any truth in that, or was that just a salesman pitch to get me to replace my cables?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, exposed copper will oxidise over time, which reduces its conductivity, but provided you plug and unplug cables from time to time, and strip back any bare ends on speaker cables to expose fresh copper, there should be no problems.

A

Anonymous

Old Phart, almost all metals will oxidise very slowly over time, with the exception of Gold, it brings the molecules into a lower energy state. By plugging and unplugging you rub away a minute layer of tarnish although you do expose the contact surfaces briefly to fresh air. If you leave the interconnects connected and never move them a layer of corrosion will build between the two metals and slowly degrade the conductivity. This is in part due to differing metals contacting and having different electochemical covalency. This means that when different metals are in contact with each other, depending on which has the higher covalency corrosion will flow into the contact points. This is why plumbers always keep steel pipes away from copper ones. If both your interconnects are gold plated you're fine, otherwise it is sensible to plug and unplug from time to time.

Very well sealed cables may last decades but slowly the air will get in. As much as we try and avoid it, we usually fail to stop nature corroding all around us.

A

Anonymous

Ha! And who am I to argue with experience! You're certainly right about one thing, human interference will be the end of us all and our hi-fi gear! :) It's the solder points behind the phono plugs and their solidity that will be affected by our continual removal and replacement of the cables and should their be a dry joint waiting to be discovered we'll find out if we take a ham-fisted approach. So no doubt there is much to be said for letting sleeping dogs lie and if it ain't broke don't mess with it! Too true oldphrt! Have a good weekend! Will

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts