do any of you buy vinyl because.......

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
you just a feeling it will sound good.

reason being i like oasis(all brit pop from mid 90s) and some blues/rock but saw a mint copt of the best of pete seeger in oxfam for £6 and it said that it has some recordings from pre-ww2 so i thought that be great. turns oiut its folk music and not my cup of tea but yet i listened to 2 times in a row and did not mind it. Cd's have never gave me that feeling is that just me being silly

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I think vinyl is a more emotional medium then CD. Yes, when I buy an LP I do expect it to sound better than the equivelant CD which I'll probably already have and I am very rarely disappointed. Maybe I'm showing my age but I think vinyl just happens to tap into the memories I have of all my favourite Lp's, from my very first LP (Band on the Run - Wings) right up to my last purchase, the feeling is still the same.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Yep, I know just what you mean! I swore I would not buy any vinyl that I already had on CD, but have already bought 4 Pink Floyd albums that I already have on CD. Also looking forward to getting hold of Miles Davis Kind of Blue on vinyl - when I find one at a reasonable price.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
I love mine because it is ANALOGUE and that is how we humans are... And of course, it may sound better and the process of listening is more emotional. Still occasionally buying same title CDs and LPs, enjoying both on different occasions. But no matter how good the vinyl experience may be, CDs are far more practical...

I think I ever only bought half a dozen downloads, call me old-fashioned, but I prefer 'originals' that come on spinning discs, be that CD or vinyl!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Mr. Iceman:

I love mine because it is ANALOGUE and that is how we humans are... And of course, it may sound better and the process of listening is more emotional. Still occasionally buying same title CDs and LPs, enjoying both on different occasions. But no matter how good the vinyl experience may be, CDs are far more practical...

I think I ever only bought half a dozen downloads, call me old-fashioned, but I prefer 'originals' that come on spinning discs, be that CD or vinyl!

Funny you should say that, I always thought the idea of downloading very unappealing until I tried a 24/92 version of Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss which I then compared with a the CD version on loan from my local library. I think it's fair to say I was very impressed with the downloaded version, with a broader dynamic range, more natural in its tonal quality. This was not exactly what I was expecting but I suspect even if HD downloads do become more readily available then it may well be to a niche market aimed at audiophiles.as with 180g and 200g vinyl.

In the years to come I can see CDs disappearing and being replaced by downloads and vinyl (the irony is not going to be lost on me)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Apart from vinyl being don of the music format, lets be honest how can digital bit music be better.

For me it's nostalgic, being brought up playing records and reel to reel and cassette has always stuck with me. I did embrace the CD format when it came out and i do still bye CD if its not available on vinyl. But it's analog all the way for me.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Apart from vinyl being don of the music format, lets be honest how can digital bit music be better.

For me it's nostalgic, being brought up playing records and reel to reel and cassette has always stuck with me. I did embrace the CD format when it came out and i do still bye CD if its not available on vinyl. But it's analog all the way for me.

Interesting comment... nostalgia is certainly what got me back into vinyl, and I guess guess nostalgia helps tolerate the odd pop and crackle. But listening to the TT last night, it was all about the sound quality - my 2nd hand TT, which cost me just over £300 (could have been less if I hadn't gone for a modified rega arm) wipes the floor over my £1000 CDP. (Actually, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I do prefer the sound of the TT over the CDP).

But what of the next generation - they won't have the same nostalgia for vinyl... and I doubt, whatever the mainstream format in 30 years time, they'll have any nostalgia for MP3s!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
margetti:
But what of the next generation - they won't have the same nostalgia for vinyl... and I doubt, whatever the mainstream format in 30 years time, they'll have any nostalgia for MP3s!

Funny you should say that, as i was typing out i was thinking the same thing.
MP3 downloads, great! What a prospect for the next generation?
I'm not sure how many youngsters know what a record is?
It sound ridiculous i know but i had an interesting conversation with a man and his son in a london hotel at christmas. It all come about because i was earwigging. I couldn't help but overhear the two of them discussing the possibility of setting up an on line music server of some ilk. As the conversation went on the young lad was talking about the quality of MP3. As they were talking the young lads father bought up the fact he loved 7" singles but how MP3 sound's better. His son asked what a 7" single was. This unfortunately for them is where i put my two pennies worth in without even introducing myself. Oops.
We did though had a good conversation regarding the different compressed formats etc etc but on refection the line from his son about not knowing what a 7"single was is really what stuck with me.

A

Anonymous

...it really does sound better, for one thing. another is that with vinyl, you really take care of the format - you invest time in taking care of the record, you clean it, take care not to touch it, keep it in the proper sleeve, make sure it's stored properly. Although some care is needed for CD's, they don't need to be treated as carefully. This care creates an emotional attachment.

i also like vinyl because it helps people appreciate the artists and musicians on a different level. on a cd, or with downloads, it so easy just to listen to the tracks that are hits - leaving many unable to fully appreciate the majority of music on the album. just because a song didn't chart doesn't mean it isn't good. most audiophiles will take the patience to listen to a whole cd - but not many other people will. with vinyl, the format asks you to be patient and listen. some albums have a whole story to tell...

I love my ipod for the convenience and the instant gratification it offers, but when i really want to listen to music, imho, nothing beats the satisfaction of vinyl.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
luimatti:
...it really does sound better, for one thing. another is that with vinyl, you really take care of the format - you invest time in taking care of the record, you clean it, take care not to touch it, keep it in the proper sleeve, make sure it's stored properly. Although some care is needed for CD's, they don't need to be treated as carefully. This care creates an emotional attachment.

i also like vinyl because it helps people appreciate the artists and musicians on a different level. on a cd, or with downloads, it so easy just to listen to the tracks that are hits - leaving many unable to fully appreciate the majority of music on the album. just because a song didn't chart doesn't mean it isn't good. most audiophiles will take the patience to listen to a whole cd - but not many other people will. with vinyl, the format asks you to be patient and listen. some albums have a whole story to tell...

I love my ipod for the convenience and the instant gratification it offers, but when i really want to listen to music, imho, nothing beats the satisfaction of vinyl.

....and of course we like vinyl because it's packaging is a lot bloody nicer than those bloody plastic jewel cases which I bloody hate with a passion
emotion-12.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
smuggs: you just a feeling it will sound good.

reason being i like oasis(all brit pop from mid 90s) and some blues/rock but saw a mint copt of the best of pete seeger in oxfam for £6 and it said that it has some recordings from pre-ww2 so i thought that be great. turns oiut its folk music and not my cup of tea but yet i listened to 2 times in a row and did not mind it. Cd's have never gave me that feeling is that just me being silly

I buy vinyl because I know it wil sound better than the CD. Even a poorly mastered vinyl still has something about it that's just more natural than CD. There's a three dimensionality to it that CD can only hint at.

Playing vinyl in store gets people's attention - CD fails to do this unless it's an extremely good system.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:smuggs: you just a feeling it will sound good.

I buy vinyl because I know it wil sound better than the CD. Even a poorly mastered vinyl still has something about it that's just more natural than CD. There's a three dimensionality to it that CD can only hint at.

Playing vinyl in store gets people's attention - CD fails to do this unless it's an extremely good system.

I buy vinyl because it sounds natural and musical! It sounds like music...I am not saying that cd does not sound like music but what cd is trying to do is match the original analogue wave form, and it does not always get it right. I think what we all really want from your hi fi is how true to the original recording your hi fi can produce- for this, vinyl always wins :)

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Lets consider the listening path.

Your ears - analogue

Speakers - analogue

Amplifier - analogue (ok, there are some digital amps out there now)

Turntable - analogue

CD player - digital

Spot the odd one out!

A

Anonymous

Sabby:
Lets consider the listening path.

Your ears - analogue

Speakers - analogue

Amplifier - analogue (ok, there are some digital amps out there now)

Turntable - analogue

CD player - digital

Spot the odd one out!

You missed one:

Your sound to nerve-impulse conversion - digital (arguably) :)

A

Anonymous

I've just got Dark Side of the Moon remastered 30th anniversary SACD, and through my Leema Antila it is awesome in terms of detail, naturalness, range, warmth, musicality. Very analogue like, in fact. So I've ordered a few more SACDs. I'm less convinced that it's the medium, and more that it's the quality of the original recordings.

A

Anonymous

I don't buy new vinyl any more. My turntable hasn't worked for years but the key factor is that most of the new music I want to buy is only available on CD. Also, unlike some, I find 24/96 digital good enough (perhaps because my hearing isn't as good as it used to be) so I hope that as more music becomes available in download form and at high quality I'll be able to buy downloads rather than CDs.

Nevertheless, I do hope to get my record player working again so that I can listen to my existing LP collection (much of which is unavailable on CD or download) and once my turntable is working I have little doubt that I will resume buying used LPs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts