DIY acoustic panels

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi all. :)

I'm going to make some DIY acoustic panels over the Christmas period. Looking at YouTube I came across this video which suggests that using towels works better rather than proper acoustic foam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes

Any thoughts on this?

Also how do you think that towels would compare to Rockwool which is what I was originally intending to use?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

steve_1979 said:
Hi all. :)

I'm going to make some DIY acoustic panels over the Christmas period. Looking at YouTube I came across this video which suggests that using towels works better rather than proper acoustic foam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes

Any thoughts on this?

Also how do you think that towels would compare to Rockwool which is what I was originally intending to use?

when he said ‘testing testing one to three’ without panels on the wall I noticed the window was open, then when he said the same thing with panels on, the window was closed.

I’ve always been a bit sceptical as if you’ve got a room with speakers that can breathe, no sofas in the way etc, you can still get the house sound of those speakers even without acoustic treatment. Some aspects of hi Fi are a compromise.

That said I’d be interested in some of these panels if you could use them in conjunction with a conventional picture, but I doubt it. I don’t think most people would not use these, unless you’ve got a dedicated listening room, as they kind of make a living room look ridiculous. hi Fi can be dominating enough let alone sticking these on walls.

insider9

Really depends on what you're trying to achieve. What's worth considering that the tests he performed are what I'd call pseudo scientific. You're room treatment mostly will focus on sub 5kHz frequencies so if a towel is optimal according to the video it doesn't make it a viable material. Unless you're a bat :)

Have you done any measurements of your room? Any particular issue you're trying to address?

If not to to the first one are you within a reasonable drive from Sheffield and would you want me to pop in with a mic so we could do measurements?

insider9

I'd also be careful testing such high frequencies. First of all they're directional so less toe in might be all you need. Secondly treating only high frequencies might kill all the air and harmonics making the music sounding less natural, flatter and not as detailed.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
That said I’d be interested in some of these panels if you could use them in conjunction with a conventional picture, but I doubt it.

If it works I am considering getting some of my own pictures printed on the material to cover them with.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Have you done any measurements of your room? Any particular issue you're trying to address?

No I haven't done any measurements but there are no specific issues and I listen in the near field at a computer desk about 1.5m from the speakers (I already have basic acoustic treatment at the 'mirror points' on my desk). It sounds really good already and there are are no problems with uneven bass at the listening position.

My room is quite large and has lots of flat surfaces though so I am interested to see what difference it would make especially to the sound when listening from other places in the room.

insider9 said:
If not to to the first one are you within a reasonable drive from Sheffield and would you want me to pop in with a mic so we could do measurements?

Sorry I'm miles away.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

steve_1979 said:
That said I’d be interested in some of these panels if you could use them in conjunction with a conventional picture, but I doubt it.

If it works I am considering getting some of my own pictures printed on the material to cover them with.

thats interesting Steve, how would you achieve that. If the picture goes over the towels doesn’t it just mitigate the absorbing and dampening properties as the picture is effectively a reflective surface, just like a wall.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

thats interesting Steve, how would you achieve that. If the picture goes over the towels doesn’t it just mitigate the absorbing and dampening properties as the picture is effectively a reflective surface, just like a wall.

TBH I'm not sure yet. I'll probably but some blank material and find a printers that and print a picture on it.

insider9

I'm considering changing cloth on my acoustic panels at the minute. There are websites you can specify what fabric and upload your own photos.

Steve, I'm not saying don't try towels if that's what you want. However with all the effort you'll put in I'd go for Rockwool. If you need it thin them something dense like RW5 would be my choice. Otherwise slightly less dense RW3 if you're planning to go thicker.

Rockwool will work on frequencies where towels will have no effect at all. A pack of Rockwool is circa £30 so not a big outlay. And one is final thing make sure you design them with air pocket which is as important as absorbing material itself.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Steve, I'm not saying don't try towels if that's what you want. However with all the effort you'll put in I'd go for Rockwool.

That's pretty much what I thought.

insider9 said:
...And one is final thing make sure you design them with air pocket which is as important as absorbing material itself.

I'll bare that in mind. Thanks.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
interesting reading comments.

why will treating the room kill the treble and kill the air.

What is air anyway? can someone please explain what air is?

If you treat a room with very thin material such as thin foam you dont kill the treble. I would be surprised if the high freq even changes much.
what you do is reduce the reverb of the high frequencies and then the excess reverb of mids and bass will overhang the treble and mask it.

However if you use the correct products you will achieve an even decay with no overhang of any notes. deep bass excluded, bass overhangs the most and is hence the suggested place to start. Most people ignore this advice even me, it was a mistake. Think bass first is my advice even if you think you have good bass already.

insider9

ellisdj said:
why will treating the room kill the treble and kill the air.

What is air anyway? can someone please explain what air is?

However if you use the correct products you will achieve an even decay[/b] with no overhang of any notes. deep bass excluded, bass overhangs the most and is hence the suggested place to start. Most people ignore this advice even me, it was a mistake. Think bass first is my advice even if you think you have good bass already.

Bit in bold was what I was trying to convey.

Upper frequencies can be easier dealt with by varying toe-in. By reduction of only treble region you would lose clarity as one of the things. Air for me is when instruments have space around them.

ellisdj said:
If you treat a room with very thin material such as thin foam you dont kill the treble. I would be surprised if the high freq even changes much. what you do is reduce the reverb of the high frequencies and then the excess reverb of mids and bass will overhang the treble and mask it.
Yes, overall you're right but it will depend on the placement. With my tuned panels I've had several issue due to incorrect placement of panels causing big dips in frequency response.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'm considering changing cloth on my acoustic panels at the minute. There are websites you can specify what fabric and upload your own photos.

Steve, I'm not saying don't try towels if that's what you want. However with all the effort you'll put in I'd go for Rockwool. If you need it thin them something dense like RW5 would be my choice. Otherwise slightly less dense RW3 if you're planning to go thicker.

Rockwool will work on frequencies where towels will have no effect at all. A pack of Rockwool is circa £30 so not a big outlay. And one is final thing make sure you design them with air pocket which is as important as absorbing material itself.

A quick search reveals you can get beach towels with your own design or photo for £28.

Edit - on Amazon there are Shaws beach towels for £4.95 plus postage - some of them are quite cool actually (well depending on your taste) *smile*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
A quick search reveals you can get beach towels with your own design or photo for £28.
Edit - on Amazon there are Shaws beach towels for £4.95 plus postage - some of them are quite cool actually (well depending on your taste) *smile*

There are some interesting towel designs on eBay and Amazon.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If anybody is thinking about acoustic room treatments then this video of David Shevyn (Gik Acoustics) walking through the basics of acoustic treatment is well worth watching. He also dispels a few myths which may be relevant to the OP’s plight...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qbQEBVDAY74

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
1cea117ab6d27c71e5288a3d8c5bff8d--diy-speakers-speaker-design.jpg

just get some decent speakers Steve.. these should works great in hollow space

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts