Distortion

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
hi all,I’m getting some distortion through my speakers now when I walk past them or touch them any ideas this has just happened recently..............thanx as usual for any help.

Gray

...or too many radioactive bananas?

Can't think what might be causing your problem - but I look forward to reading people's theories.

If there was a loose connection somewhere that was sensitive enough to be responding to your touch or footfall, I would have thought that the music's vibration would be enough to cause constant distortion. Are you sure the distortion never happens when you're nowhere near?

You need a process of elimination. Start by trying one speaker at a time, then working back.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
What sort of distortion is it? A hum, or buzz? Or does the audio itself distort in some way? My first thought is that it might be an earthing issue. But I am no expert.

Tisinthepark said:
but it’s kinda a low vibration noise in the lower base notes of records I’ve checked all cables and they look fine.

Sounds awful like a problem I had when installing my new turntable. It's an earth fault. Basically you have too many earths in the system.

Have you added anything lately? Strange you have only just noticed it as it should have been immediately apparent.

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
I’ve put cone feet that sit in the discs on my speakers around Xmas time I’ve just tried moving them out of the discs to see if that’s any better but it’s still the same, the cones are fixed on with really sticky pads that I really don’t want to take off but if the experts think it could be them then I will.

All my gear is on the same surface speakers amp and TT but it’s been that way for over a year now and not been an issue.

Gray

Tisinthepark said:
I’ve put cone feet that sit in the discs on my speakers around Xmas time I’ve just tried moving them out of the discs to see if that’s any better but it’s still the same, the cones are fixed on with really sticky pads that I really don’t want to take off but if the experts think it could be them then I will.

All my gear is on the same surface speakers amp and TT but it’s been that way for over a year now and not been an issue.

Is the problem still there if you listen on headphones?

Gray

Tisinthepark said:
Yep still there through headphones G.

You now know it's nothing to do with your speakers.

Is the TT your only source? Can you try another source through your amp? (If it makes it easier to hear the problem, keep monitoring on your headphones)

If there's no distortion with the different source, then the problem is with your TT, phono preamp or associated cabling.

If there is still the same problem with a different source, then you've ruled out all of the above and your main amp is all that's left to consider.

What amp are you using by the way?

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
A low pitched vibrato sounds nothing at all like an earth loop problem.

If you take the drive belt off the ESSIII, but leave the motor running with the stylus still sitting in the groove of a record that was presenting with this problem - is the problem still audible ? (Motor still spinning but platter not spinning).

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
rotel a10 amp only a year old and I don’t have anything else to try it with

brownz I’ll try that tonight when I get home

its like the singer is gargling sometimes!!!

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Double check your tonearm bearings as well. Check that tonearm is floating freely when balanced, both in the Y axis and more importantly in the X axis. I recently had a TT back where the end user had returned it to a large high st retailer for bad distortion and skipping. After a bit of diagnosis it turned out they had seen the bearing tool on our website, bought it so they could lube their bearings, and then just nipped them up adding a turn and nipping it up after feeling resistence ! Even the slightest bit of over zealous bearing tightening can result in it offering up resistence in the groove affecting signal delivery.

Tisinthepark said:
nope nothing new Al

Do you have that phono box in the system? Surely the RA10 has an internal phono preamp?

Sorry I see the stereo box s phono is an amplifier..... doh!

Anyway what exactly do you have connected to what on your set up and how?

So is it simply turntable to phono input on RA10?

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
i don’t hace the phono box or project speakers anymore but I can’t seem to change the signature on my profile for some reason.

And yep all I have plugged into the rotel is speakers and TT.

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
i think it may have been the balance of the tone arm,the unit where my gear sits in is behind the living room door and that unit often gets a dunt from a 9yr old when he opens the door to much (it’s a small room with big furniture in it) so now I’m gona find a proper hifi unit to get it away from the danger zone and all separate with speaker stands and set it up again and prob have a square go with the Mrs about its looks.....................

ill see how it is once I’ve moved it all...........thank you very much for everyone’s help and advice it’s very much appreciated.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Maybe someone has been messing around with the leads, I'd check the back of the amplifier to make sure everything is in order. Also try different plug outlets, has there been any electrical changes or maintenance around your neighbourhood which might result in an unclean power?

If the door might be a problem, maybe your leads are cracked in some places. (pure conjecture though)

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
brownz said:
Ahh.... wise move !

Drop us an update on performance once the move to pastures new has transpired and we're all bedded in.

everything moved and a few upgrades added and on a proper stand as are my speakers,just need longer cables to get the speakers where I want them now but all sounding great.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Tisinthepark said:
hi all,I’m getting some distortion through my speakers now when I walk past them or touch them any ideas this has just happened recently..............thanx as usual for any help.

Mount the turntable on a shelf attached to the wall. I had to do that in my previous house because the floor wasn't solid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts