Distortion in bi-wired speaker

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey,

Looking for some advice [as always it seems!]

I recently purchased a pair of Rega RS5 speakers and am having problems with distortion in one of the speakers. It seems that the distortion primarily occurs with trebel-ey sounds in recordings.

I've run the speakers through two systems and found the distortion present in both. I sent the speakers back to the shop who are now saying that after running frequency and tone tests they can find no faults.

Given that the distortion is definetly there in all my tests I have come to the conclusion that the source of the distortion may have something to do with me running the speakers bi-wired. In both systems I tested the speakers were bi-wired. I seem to recall that the instructions for the speakers made a point of saying that bi-wiring offers no positives and may even cause problems.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

[the reason I ask so desperetly is that I'm away from home just now and hoping to have my speakers returned and distortion free for my return]

A

Anonymous

Nope, I didn't try with a single run of cable. I know, stupid mistake in hindsight.

As for the cable, it's just standard stuff. Gale I think.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Gale cable should be up to the task but there could be a small possibility its picking up some interference from some place and thats what your hearing but i cant be sure. Apart from that a single run test is the only thing i can come up with.

Hope it goes well.

A

Anonymous

Well, I got the speaker back. The shop said they couldn't find any problems and ran frequency and tone tests. I've now tried it on 3 seperate systems and with 4 different sets of speaker cable and the distotion is still present.

Any ideas?

How friendly and helpful is my local dealer going to be given that I didn't buy the speakers there? All I need is a second opinion. Any reccomendations where to take it in Edinburgh?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
DeadHero:

Hey,

I recently purchased a pair of Rega RS5 speakers and am having problems with distortion in one of the speakers. It seems that the distortion primarily occurs with trebel-ey sounds in recordings.

I've run the speakers through two systems and found the distortion present in both. I sent the speakers back to the shop who are now saying that after running frequency and tone tests they can find no faults.

Given that the distortion is definetly there in all my tests I have come to the conclusion that the source of the distortion may have something to do with me running the speakers bi-wired. In both systems I tested the speakers were bi-wired. I seem to recall that the instructions for the speakers made a point of saying that bi-wiring offers no positives and may even cause problems.

So the speakers are biwireable, but the manufacturer doesnt want you to biwire?
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeah, that's rega for you. They even tell you there's no need to clean your records!

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:DeadHero:

Hey,

emotion-7.gif

aliEnRIK

My thoughts as well, does seem the bizarrest thing to suggest

My suggestion would be to get hold of the speaker manufacture and ask them to explain themselves.....................doesn't stack up otherwise.

!!

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
fayeanddavid:aliEnRIK:DeadHero:

Hey,

emotion-7.gif

aliEnRIK

My suggestion would be to get hold of the speaker manufacture and ask them to explain themselves.....................doesn't stack up otherwise!!

Ummm...perhaps Rega feel more positive about bi-amping...for which you'd need...

A

Anonymous

I'm assuming the linking plates between the speaker terminals were removed? Apologies if that sounds dumb but it has been done before.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, of course. They have been removed when Bi-wiring.

I've also checked them through a couple of systems with single coil speaker cable and found the fault to be present.

Totally at a loss with this. To my ears there is a obvious fault but the shop said they tested and couldn't find anything.

A

Anonymous

I suppose the next step is to get someone from the shop to come and listen at your place.

A

Anonymous

Hmm, problem is the store is in Newcastle and I'm in Edinburgh.

Contacted my local dealer and they said it'd be £50 for them to even have a look and tell me if there is a fault.

Pulled everything apart today and tried every permutation through two seperate systems and low and behold . . . the problem persists.

I'm not even bothering bi-wiring now, the fault is more than apparent with a single run of cable.

Contacted the shop again and they're acting totally bemused. The say the tried it through various systems and in the workshop and found nothing.

Problem is that the distortion is anything but subtle, it really wouldn't take a variety of tests to spot. I had my dad round and he can hear it!

A

Anonymous

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure now that its the tweeter that is distorting.

A

Anonymous

Nope, I had a look on their website and couldn't see a telephone or email address.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
DeadHero:
Nope, I had a look on their website and couldn't see a telephone or email address.

There is a list of UK dealers on there site. You have 2 in Edinburgh, James Morrow and Loud and Clear.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You didn't do this after all, did you?

Anyway, you will need to go through your Rega dealer for this problem.

I had a tweeter go silent on a pair of Rega R3s a couple of years ago and my dealer had the replacement ordered, delivered, and fitted within the week at no cost due to the 3 year guarantee. (Audio-T).

A

Anonymous

No, I have only had the speakers wired up to the amp independently.

I contacted Loud and Clear who were helpful but said it'd cost £50 to look at the speakers. My speakers were not supplied with any Rega warranty, though I'd imagine they are under 3 years only.

The do have a 12 month warranty with the shop I purchased them from (Lintone Audio) but I don't think they're too convinced there's a fault in the first place after their initial look.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:aliEnRIK:DeadHero:

Hey,

emotion-7.gif

aliEnRIK

My suggestion would be to get hold of the speaker manufacture and ask them to explain themselves.....................doesn't stack up otherwise.

!!

It down to the simplicity of the crossover. Rega's design means bi wiring the speaker offers no advantage. But bi-amping will give greater control over the drivers and tweeter, thus the two pairs of posts.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
DeadHero:
No, I have only had the speakers wired up to the amp independently.

I contacted Loud and Clear who were helpful but said it'd cost £50 to look at the speakers. My speakers were not supplied with any Rega warranty, though I'd imagine they are under 3 years only.

The do have a 12 month warranty with the shop I purchased them from (Lintone Audio) but I don't think they're too convinced there's a fault in the first place after their initial look.

You've tried a separate system so its not the amp or source, they can be ruled out.

If you can hear the distortion you need to pin it down. Have you tried swapping the cable over? Use the single run with the bridging connectors in from one speaker and change it to the other, if it still persists its the speaker, if the distortion moves to the other speaker its something else, maybe the cable?

If the distortion moves when you swap the cable over do a full cable change round, leave the speakers as is and change at the amp, if the distortion is still there its the cable.

Just unplug at the mains before hand!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice.

I've def ruled out the source through trying seperate systems and inputs.

I've tried swapping cables over, that's how I've been able to pinpoint the distortion to one speaker.

I honestly am sure I've checked every variable in my system and I'm sure the problem is mechanically with the speaker. I'm just in a difficult situation because the shop are adamant that they saw no fault whatsoever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts