Dissapointming DACmagic plus :-(

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Evening all, thought I'd share my dissapointing experience with CA's new DACmagic plus. I so wanted this product to be amazingly good at what it does. I've already returned one DAC plus due to it not recognising the incoming signal and the solution was to keep turnin it on & off until it finally recognised the audio signal. I also noticed a popping/crackling noise whenever I changed channel but didn't associate it to the DAC plus. Anyways, I returned the unit back to RS who changed it straight away. So, back home I went and set up the new DAC plus to find the first problem rectified but the popping/crackling still persisted to happen whenever I change channel. Needless to say, once again I will be taking yet another trip into RS tomorrow for a full refund. Very dissapointed with CA at the min. To add to the frustration they've had my 650bd in for repair since mid november due to it not reading Blu ray discs.

Really starting to loose faith in CA :-(

T

the record spot

That's always disappointing to hear and frustrating to experience. Quite right; get a refund and/or a different product that's more reliable.

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your experience. Have not had similar problems with my Dacmagic +. It is connected via Coax only (to a Squeezebox Touch and a Denon 1800 DAB tuner). Have no pop or crackle when changing channel on the tuner or tracks on the Squeezebox.

Looking forward to some reviews, but having upgraded from the orginal Dacmagic I am very impressed with the + sound.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
I was also very impressed with the sound which is mainly why i'm so annoyed. I originally thought it was my sky HD box providing the crackling/popping but when I set up my old DACmagic there is no sign of any crackling. Sick of going into RS, wonder if they'll cover my fuel costs :)

John Duncan

As most of you know I've got a lot of time for Cambridge Audio and RS in general, and obviously that's disappointing. I'd be inclined to have one more go with a DM+ though; i'd demo the problem and get them to get another one out of its box and check it doesn't exhibit the same issues.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
wbarr said:
Sorry to hear about your experience. Have not had similar problems with my Dacmagic +. It is connected via Coax only (to a Squeezebox Touch and a Denon 1800 DAB tuner). Have no pop or crackle when changing channel on the tuner or tracks on the Squeezebox.

Looking forward to some reviews, but having upgraded from the orginal Dacmagic I am very impressed with the + sound.

Hi there.

Funnily enough, I have dac magic 1, very old (BNC) and squeezebox touch. In what way do you prefer the sound if you don't mind me asking? It's just that this could be a possible candidate upgrade :)

Cheers

Ambrose

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi ambrose,

The original can sound bright and thin at times. The plus has neither of these failings. To my ears the new plus makes music sound much more spread and also, there is a massive improvement where depth is concerned. On some cd's I found my ears and eyes being pulled literally all over the room as different instruments were being played. Side by side the new plus is a much better sounding DAC than the original.

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
atkins4725 said:
Hi ambrose,

The original can sound bright and thin at times. The plus has neither of these failings. To my ears the new plus makes music sound much more spread and also, there is a massive improvement where depth is concerned. On some cd's I found my ears and eyes being pulled literally all over the room as different instruments were being played. Side by side the new plus is a much better sounding DAC than the original.

Agree with this assessment. Sound is much more organic, less brittle sounding.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
atkins4725 said:
Hi ambrose,

Thanks for the lowdown guys. Will keep this one in mind. Will be nice to see reviews / comparison to other DACs also soon I hope.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts