Discreet HiFi Amp and Speaker Pairing

losalnos

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I currently have a sharp sound bar that's around years old that handles everything and was thinking about buying a hifi amp for my living room to upgrade.

I tried a few Bluetooth speakers and didn't find them very satisfying: they were better for music than the soundbar, but not significantly and I knew I'd want to replace it soon enough so thought I'd go straight to a hifi option.

What I need in terms of input: I have an old q-deck record player with an ortofon red and that's going in to a Nad PP-1. I'd replace the soundbar so an input for my TV (could use RCA or optical), and lastly me and my other half stream from our phones so I think Bluetooth would be good. Oh, and here's the kicker: we have ****** all room (my record player has to sit at 90degrees just to fit on a shelf!) so I'm trying to avoid full size equipment.

So... here's the questions: I was looking at the NAD 3020D? What do people feel about that? Any other options?

Secondly, any speaker recommendations? Again, ideally want them to be small and discreet, under £250-ish pounds, and to found as good as possible at low volume (small flat thing again!)

Any advice? Anything welcome, even some out of the box thoughts - maybe there's s better solution I can't see in a wood-for-the-trees way. All advice greatfully accepted.

Thanks all!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
How about a Musical Fidelity Merlin ... There are some available on that well know auction site at 299 with speakers. It supports Bluetooth, phono, digital and analogue inputs.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd look at QAcoustics BT3.

Some cheeky monkeys will be along soon and recommend active 'studio monitors'.

Stay clear at this level unless you want a perma headache :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I'd look at QAcoustics BT3.

Some cheeky monkeys will be along soon and recommend active 'studio monitors'.

Stay clear at this level unless you want a perma headache :)

giphy.gif

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I think a trip to Richer sounds or sevenoaks is in order.you seem to know what you like so demo is definitely on the cards.just one warning richer sounds demo rooms are a bit poo so book at least an hour.if you can't demo i think what you have picked is great.just need to know about what sort of sound you are looking for

losalnos

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks everyone! So with regards to the QAcoustics, do you think looking at active speakers would serve me better than an amp/passive speakers combo? Are there any similr products I should look at? The other thing I've only jut thought to consider is multi-room options. My total budget for amp & speakers (or perhaps just speakers, as it turns out!) is £400-£500.

Thanks again!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
For your space limitations the BT3s seem a great solution. Would they sound as good as say a marantz pm6006 with Q acoustics 3020 and a Bluetooth receiver, or even an Onkyo a9010 and wharfedales diamond 220s, maybe almost as good but a hell of a lot tidier

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts