Discount from Sevenoaks?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As per my other recent post, I am probably going to get the Spendor A6s to match with my Cyrus system.

The only Spendor dealer near me is Sevenoaks in Hove, who were really helpful in the auditioning process. However, being a big firm, I expect that they may be willing to give some sort of discount.

My question is: Do Sevenoaks willingly give discounts if asked for and, if so, what is the best way of approaching it? Cash is out of the question, so I may need another angle! What should I expect off a £1900 pair of loudspeakers, if anything?

Thanks all,

Phil

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Well, Sevenoaks are franchises rather than one big company, so it's rather down to the indivudual manager.

I wouldn't have thought you would get a huge amount off, unless it's ex-dem. I got my RS6s for 25% off retail from the Bristol branch, but they were display models, and he had two of the same finish on display - hence why he could let one go.

If you manage 5% I would say you were doing well. You could go for freebies instead - maybe a good deal on cabling?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Cash in hand and ask them outright

If youre a genuine buyer they'll do what they can to get your business; more so if its cash (less charges to pay then)

Also; if they do you a good deal; they know that 9/10 times customers will go back there as theyve been looked after and treated well :)

T

the record spot

There's the age old options of either: "Is that your best price?" (the risk to that being you get "Yes sir, that's what the ticket says..." or "Can you do anything around the price at all?".

To be honest, I think dealers can probably see this coming most days, but as you're in the minority of people who are upgrading to some pricey new kit, I'm sure they'd like their till to ring to ring with £100 off than nothing at all.

(I hear that the big growth area in hifi right now is in the used market - no surprises there then!)

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I bought some Monitor Audio PL100's the other day from Sevenoaks and got a hefty £800 off. The owner told me that they have very large markups on the speakers (whereas TV's he's only making about £50 on). I had to buy the speakers that I listened to, otherwise it was full price. I'd suggest offering to buy the speakers off the shop floor (as long as they're not damaged) in exchange for a good discount. They're also doing 33% off speakers if you buy an amp but I suspect that the saving you'd make by buying a cheap amp at the same time wouldn't be worth it.

A

Anonymous

when i went to audition a pair om GS20's, the manager in sevenoaks yeovil gave me a good price of £1390new and boxed! so your looking at £300-£400 off i would think

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

I think the moral is that it can't hurt to ask, particularly in these cash-strapped times. They're probably selling less and less new units these days, so by spending a hefty wedge with them, they may be willing to help me to ensure my long-term business.

I have been very impressed by them, actually. They've been helpful and easy going and informative about the kit. They have good coffee too!

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:If you manage 5% I would say you were doing well. You could go for freebies instead - maybe a good deal on cabling?

As fatboyslimfast suggested, go down the accessory route.... I went into Sevenoaks Holborn last night to demo a few amp speaker combos (ended up liking the Roksan K2 / B&W CM1 combo). The current deal is up to 33% off speakers when buying an amp BUT the B&W only qualify for 20%.

So I asked for 4m of Carnival Silver Screen speaker cable (£24) thrown into the £1150 deal. Still thinking about it now......................

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
PhilAllen:
Thanks for the prompt feedback.

I think the moral is that it can't hurt to ask, particularly in these cash-strapped times. They're probably selling less and less new units these days, so by spending a hefty wedge with them, they may be willing to help me to ensure my long-term business.

I have been very impressed by them, actually. They've been helpful and easy going and informative about the kit. They have good coffee too!

My local in Epsom are excellent. I would go in and check them out again and say that you love them but unless they can be discounted to say £1500, you will have to come back in a couple of months. They will at least offer you something in between and you will be saving a couple of hundred quid at least.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
The problem with telling them that you'll come back in a couple of months is that word on the street is that prices are about to go up by (possibly) 20-30%.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
VoodooDoctor:The problem with telling them that you'll come back in a couple of months is that word on the street is that prices are about to go up by (possibly) 20-30%.

Yes, but they will still want you to buy there and then.

How are the PL100s by the way??

A

Anonymous

It's worth asking but given that they're a new speaker model you might struggle. I asked when buying my SA1s and the answer was 'not on those I'm afraid'. The only movement was if I bought an amp as well. They're a good dealer, they were very helpful, I paid the price.

A

Anonymous

I got my seperates from 7oaks and got 15% off everything.
Ask for 20% and settle at 15%.

A

Anonymous

Seeing as I went in there only wanting to check out a £1500 pair of speakers, I might mention that. I will struggle to find the extra funds to be honest, so a deal could really be a deal maker/breaker.

As igglebert points out, they're not going to be desparate to get rid of the A6s.

Going for a second demo with my wife on Saturday morning, so I will let you know how I get on!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I would go armed with the best price you can find anywhere. Also the outlets that sell these speakers in the area too as if they are the only ones nearby then they are in a stronger position. I imagine their markup will be at least £500 if not considerably more, so I would aim for £1,600 with some free speaker cable as that was close to your original budget.

You could even ask them if they have anything cheaper as you are struggling to stretch to this price as it's over your original budget.ÿ

John Duncan

PhilAllen:Going for a second demo with my wife on Saturday morning, so I will let you know how I get on!

Wife: "yeah these are the best but there's no way you're spending more than 1500 quid - you promised" (wife storms off, phil looks puppy eyes at dealer)

A

Anonymous

My wife is surprisingly amaible! After going in there to look at the £1500 A5s and coming back waxing lyrical about the £1900 A6s, I expected my plans to hit the ice. But no, she just suggested combining the cost of them with a new sofa and putting it against the mortgage. That way we we are all happy and I have somewhere comfy to sit when listening to my new speakers!

I am so glad I married her.

However, I like the idea of setting up a mini-domestic to start swaying things!

A

Anonymous

I've found sevenoaks (Aberdeen) very reasonable. I recently managed to negotiate a Kandy K2 (£750), Monitor Audio GS10s (£900) and a Chord Silver Siren interconnect (£90, but outgoing model), all for £1350. I started lower, he started higher, we had a friendly chat and both walked away happy. I would advise polite but firm as a strategy, and make it clear that you're prepared to walk if the deal isn't right.

Oi, Bill, this bloke won't haggle, etc, etc..........

A

Anonymous

Well, I purchased my A6s today and tried my best at this haggling malarky. Seeing as I am not very good at it and the A6s are a brand new line and not in the sale, I think I came away from the deal alright.

From £1895 RRP, they let me have them for £1700 with two runs of Chord Carnival Silver Screen speaker wire thrown in.

Could be better, could be worse. Now I just have to wait four days for my new speakers and just hope I don't get made redundant any time soon!

Thanks again for all your advice, it really helped.

Phil

A

Anonymous

Well done Phil not a bad deal id say, let us know how you get on with the A6 as I was thinking of buying them myself, or the pmc Fb1i.

Have fun listening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts