Disco Anti-Stat question

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've just taken delivery of the above named vinyl cleaner having heard several forum members, John Duncan in particular, sing its praises. So far, so good. I'm impressed with the initial results. Thanks for the recommendation John. Just one question: do you use the liquid mixture in its bottled form or does it need to be diluted? I'm guessing not but just wanted to check with someone who might know. Cheers.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="compblazer"]
ÿWhere can you get it from?

[/quote]

There's quite a few places online via Ebay or a Google search. I'll add my voice to the chorus of approval for this product. It works wonders with the less than pristine vinyl in my collection.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi is anyone using this with a Rega Turntable?, if so what do you think of it. The instructions I have with my Rega state:

"Don't use any cleaners that use water or solvents" " Don't believe all the claims made by record cleaning manufacturers"

So I have never risked trying any, it would be nice to know whether they work and whether they do any harm, all I do with mine at the moment is an occasional blow with an air-duster.

John Duncan

They absolutely do work. Linn and Rega both say the same thing - let the stylus sweep dust out of the way. This is fair enough, but it doesn't sweep out grease and dirt, or the releasing agent which is left behind from the pressing process. I even clean new 180g records
emotion-1.gif
You can be quite thorough - I do about 10 rotations both ways, to give it a chance to get all the cr-p out.

For those looking for one, I know that hifibitz and diversevinyl stock them, along with spare brushes and the cleaning fluid, though I have given up on the latter at 10 quid a litre (and the palaver of trying to filter it afterwards to make it last) - I make my own. There are plenty of recipes on the web, but I've found 4 parts distilled water, 1 part isopropyl alcohol (big chemists or maplin) plus a teaspoon or so of detergent - photographic wetting agent is purer (google for ilfotol), but fairy liquid works, I just worry about leaving a residue. The last bit is important to let the record dry clean.

And for those worried about damage, don't worry about the vinyl itself, though try not to get any on the centre label if you're precious about them, as there is a small risk that they could become detached if they get wet (which can happen, even though the centre spindle covers it, there isn't a perfect seal.

I've said it before, I think it's essential - nay, mandatory - kit. I was ready to give up on vinyl and go all-CD before I got one. of course, there are better wet cleaning systems on the market, but they're hundreds of quid. If anybody is dubious, I'm happy to clean a grubby record for you to show the difference before you take the plunge.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks John,
A very comprehensive responnse there, most appreciated, it's time for some web searching and wife persuasion now I think. Hopefully as most of my vinyl is from second-hand record shops and charity shops, she will see the logic in needing to cleane them.

Gwyndy

John Duncan

Yes mine too, latterly. But it's breathed life into some of my old stuff as well. It won't fix everything, I have some that are clearly just damaged, but it'll help most. Just had a search - diversevinyl, hificables, audiophilecandy.

cheers

jd

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts