Disappointing sound from mishmash set up...

Jelboy

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys

I need a pointer please...

I have rebuilt my system over the last 6 months using some old (but I think good) components and some new and am not getting very good sound. The system comprises of an Audio-Technica AT-LP120USBHC USB Turntable equipped with HS10 headshell and AT95E cartridge (new), Behringer PP400 MicroPhono, a Cambridge Audio 640c amp, a Cambridge Audio 540c cd player, a Google Chromecast audio and a pair of new Q Acoustic 2010i speakers.

Obviously I have checked the TT is on the correct setting for the phono stage and I have attempted to align the arm which is ok

My interconnects were award winners when they came out (prob 15 years ago), and again they are ok (not freyed or making duff connections)

My speakers are not on stands but are 50mm away from the back wall on an Ikea bookshelf that's on its side which works as a great storage unit and hifi stand! And houses Lps!

My speaker cables are also ok, but dated (qed silver iirc)

The issue I am having is the TT sounds unengaging and a bit muffled, the cd is ok but again lacking in top end and the chromecast sounds very compressed (cos it is, I suppose...) So overall nothing sounds fantastic!

So my question is where do I go from here?

Buy a different phono stage and cartridge, alignment tool and spirit level?

Upgrade amp? Or cd player or both?

Consider stands for the speakers and new cables all round?

What in anyone's opinions the best way to go? I listen to all formats...

Thanks in advance

Jez

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jez

I'm not sure where you live but unless you are living on the Shetlands or similar I would recommend searching out your nearest Hifi dealer who is prepared to listen to you and work with your budget.

If you don't get decent service move on to another.

If you want a cracking stereo and want to avoid upgradeitis keep way from forum advice, reviews and the current kit on sale.

Although most dealers have a limited range they do have a lot of experience and hopefully won't talk down to you because you cant buy a Linn system.

I would advise arrange some time with them, go in with some treasured CD's and vinyl and get some demos of systems they have to find out what type of sound works for you and work from there.

I hope this advice is helpful to you or you get some different advice that is more relevant to you. Good luck with getting a hifi that gives you tons of pleasure in the New Year.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Good advice from entrails, but if you really can't visit a dealer, it's difficult to know where to start because we could be diagnosing forever. Changing speakers will always make the biggest difference, so that could be the fault here, seeing that you don't really like the sound of them with anything (LPs or CDs).

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried different positioning of the speakers because this can make a difference in the sound presentation.
Did you audition the speakers before buying them?
I have my speakers on dedicated stands and this can make a big difference.
Your cables should be fine but I would have a play around with the placement of the speakers first.

Jelboy

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Daz

I didnt audition the speakers cos they were only £50!

I was thinking of looking into stands, yes

However what do you think of this idea? The Chromecast and TT are brand new, the cd is fine so I am putting the poor sound quality down to the amp!

Think I might audition an Onkyo or another what hifi recommended for £200-300

Thoughts please?

Thanks

Jez

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Had a quick look at your system, you have a budget TT and a very budget cartridge. I'm not that familar with Cambridge. I think with vinyl you need to spend quite a bit more on TT and cartridge. I had that cartridge before and it's ok for the price. Also your speaker positioning does not sound good. The good news is you can easily improve the vinyl sound, the bad news is it's going to cost money, even used TTs are expensive now. Also sort out the speakers positioning, need to be on stands, if on cabinet or shelves then some sort of isolation may help, can buy for about £20. What is your TT placed on, isolation again can benefit that, there is a DIY solution. Don't worry about cables. I think the set up is important to get right first.

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I find it's especially important with vinyl, to have a bit more power available. What ever smaller speakers I've had, I've always found that keeping them at about the right height, and away from furniture, makes a huge difference.

I should think your amp ought to have sufficient power for bookshelf type speakers. I've only had old Cambridge Audio. I never found it lacking treble, but like I say, long time ago.

I suspect speakers are the issue. First, I'd try putting them on stands. They will be all muddy otherwise. If that doesn't improve things, take your amp down the shop and audition some alternative bookshelf speakers. Or get a bigger amp and go floor standing.

I wonder if Mordaunt-Short pair well with your amp, as they are now made by Cambridge? I had some 902S (signature). They sounded great with my 40 watt Marantz, on stands. I've had some of the newer 902i speakers but they didn't sound as good to me. My mother has some Aviano 1 bookshelves, not good.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
You have a "weakest link in your system" - it is a bit difficult to point out which. AT95E is a great sounding cart. On my TT it sounds wonderful. Difnitely not muffled and not unengaging. I would point out to maybe a phono preamp ? Your speakers are next to blame although they get great reviews, so strange....maybe your TT arm or internal fault ? In no case should you get a "bad sound" on your system.

P.S. But from a personal experience 99% of all weakest links are mostly speakers and amps. Maybe these ones are not to your liking ?

Award winners don’t necessarily make a good match, and your ears and preference are just as much a variable as anything else.

First off, if the system is placed in the only place it can be, I’d look to isolating the speakers from the IKEA furniture, as this will generally muddy the end result.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts