digital watermarking

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
digital watremarking - is it embedded in any streamed ( spotify, apple music, tidal etc) digital file? what about genuine downloads from online stores? ( HD tracks, bandcamp, bleep, juno etc).. what about CD's?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
digital watremarking - is it embedded in any streamed ( spotify, apple music, tidal etc) digital file? what about genuine downloads from online stores? ( HD tracks, bandcamp, bleep, juno etc).. what about CD's? 

A point ive never wondered about.

I wonder what reaction you get from this.
Ive never really given it a thought although im not big on streaming services.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
people seems to be quiet about it but they carry on buying hi res albums, usb isolators, purifiers while source material possibly sucks.. I'm not sure whether this is true or not so I'm looking what others got to say..

we can assume that all streaming services are affected but what about downloads?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If it's any concilation, 99.99% of HD tracks are upsampled CD rips. They haven't ruined anything spectacular with the watermark.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi John.. do u know any software so I can put my downloads thru it to find out whether digitally watermarked or not?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep. It's on downloads as well as streaming. It's added at source by the distributor / record company, not by the streaming/downloadservice.However, not all distributors / record companies use watermarking. Only physical formats like CDs and records completely avoid it. I've been complaining about it for ages on the forum, and I bring it up like a bad penny whenever someone advocates streaming or downloads as a valid replacement for physical media. But rarely does anyone but me seem concerned.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Can this be measured?

Even so, in absence of any form of accompanying information to tracks how can this be 'a problem'?

How do you know which tracks are watermarked?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Hi John.. do u know any software so I can put my downloads thru it to find out whether digitally watermarked or not?

I don't know of any software specifically made for detecting it, but you can often tell with a spectrum analyser, like the one found in Adobe Audition. This website explains it and includes a number of A/B demos to try yourself. Use good headphones.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
some say it's audiable..

especially with classical or where single instrument is playing or in quiet passages but also speach

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Can this be measured?

Even so, in absence of any form of accompanying information to tracks how can this be 'a problem'?

In many cases it can be easily heard let alone measured, try the demos I linked to above. Its useage vares by distributor / record company.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
drummerman said:
Can this be measured?

In many cases it can be easily heard let alone measured, try the demos I linked to above. Its useage vares by distributor / record company.

How have these samples been obtained? What software/hardware was used to record/copy and place them online?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
lpv said:
some say it's audiable..

especially with classical or where single instrument is playing or in quiet passages but also speach

Some time ago I asked on the forum if anyone notices the ocassional warbly sound in Tidal. That's when I learned from the Major for the first time it was digital watermarking.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I complained about distortion on Spotify Premium when I first took out a free 30-day trial a few years ago.

I was comparing like-for-like, 320k AAC rips from my own CDs (via AirPlay) with 320k Spotify Premium (also via AirPlay). Everyone told me at the time it must be something I had missed.

I put it down to some kind of of volume equalizer setting IIRC.

Anyway, I use Apple Music nowadays. No similar distortion as far as I can tell.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
apparently there are different techniques of 'protecting' the digital files so maybe apple choose the one that is inaudiable.. I'll check later on a headphones John's link and compare same tracks with apple music.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
CD's seems to be safe bet but please do not jump to conclusions to early and don't trash all of the downloads as infected.. we need to establish which stores/ record lables etc supply us with digital garbage + software to test the files already owned.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
No watermarks on CD's... I use Spotify free for talent spotting and then buy the CD. With albums released a couple of months ago for £5 on CD and older stuff for £0.50p plus £1.26 postage from Magpie etc. You would have to be a complete muppet to pay a streaming supplier £10 PCM to never own your music.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
No watermarks on CD's... I use Spotify free for talent spotting and then buy the CD. With albums released a couple of months ago for £5 on CD and older stuff for £0.50p plus £1.26 postage from Magpie etc. You would have to be a complete muppet to pay a streaming supplier £10 PCM to never own your music.

A muppet and proud of it :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:
Why worry about something that may not be a problem for most at all?

Ignorance is bliss.

We need to rephrase this:

Ignorance WAS bliss

True. I can start to hear distortion everywhere now.

(Actually, if you read my last reply in the headphone section that is not that far off) :)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
the samples from John's link won't load/ work properly so couldn't really test them.. I'm listening now on a HD650 Chopin's Etudes, Paganini's Caprices and Bartoli's arias and can't hear any fluttering.. zero. none.

must be that apple music use digital watermarking but it's not audiable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts