Question Digital out and external Dac

Mar 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone...hope you're keeping well during these times of uncertainty..

I am trying to play audio through the Digital out on my smartphone through an external Dac/amp....I have achieved this however...I am still able to control the audio level on my smartphone....does this mean that the OTG cable is not bypassing the internal amp..I thought this was a given if the output is digital rather than analogue...

...am I missing something simple...your help is much appreciated

thanks everyone
dan

Gray

Hope you're well too Dan, welcome to the forum.

You are getting a digital output from your phone.
If the phone volume control is affecting the digital output level to the DAC, leave that at full level and control the volume with your amp.
You could check the instructions of phone / OTG lead to see whether the digital output is bit perfect. Or give the model and someone here might be able to advise.
I am the one bloke (in the world I think) that doesn't own a smartphone :openmouth:

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
Visit site
Hope you're well too Dan, welcome to the forum.

Is the digital output to the DAC fixed, or does that vary with the phone volume control too?
If it's fixed, I wouldn't worry (the phone's analogue amp is just able to monitor the sound through its own speakers).
You're getting digital out, the only question is whether or not it's bit perfect.
Presumably there's no guide with the phone or OTG cable advising on that.

Thanks for the reply..

The output from the phone varies depending on the volume level...but surely this means it is utilising the phones amp.

I'm interested in adding an Audioquest Dragonfly Cobalt DAC/amp....but don't want to take this step if the digital out is amped (hope this makes sense)..

There is nothing in the phones manual advising of this...and surely the OTG cable wouldn't change the output being the last stage in the process...I'm confused to say the least...

cheers

Gray

It doesn't mean that it's utilising the phone's amp, merely that it is controlling the volume (out to the DAC) in the digital domain - which can mean a less than bit perfect output.
Ideally that output would be fixed. Give the model and see if someone can advise.

I can understand the confusion. If you were using the analogue out from the headphone jack, then yes, it would be going via the phone's amp.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

All smartphones are basically PC's these days. I use a PC to stream my music collection to my amp, the PC is set not to use the onboard DAC and volume is set to max, it is connected via coax lead to my streamer/DAC>amp. I'm assuming that this will be similar in your case. As Gray said max out the digital volume on the phone and use your amp to control the volume output.

Reactions: Dom and Gray
D

Deleted member 188533

LG phones are the only ones aimed at audiophiles. The headphone amp/quad DAC in their higher end offerings are as good as any $300 device or stack. They basically add a flagship smartphone to a very good portable amp/DAC.

D

Deleted member 188533

The LG's use four ESS Sabre DAC's. Two left channel and two right channel. They measure very very well. They also support pretty much every format out of the box including DSD and MQA.

Reactions: Dom and Al ears
The LG's use four ESS Sabre DAC's. Two left channel and two right channel. They measure very very well. They also support pretty much every format out of the box including DSD and MQA.

Of course you could just go and buy a nice expensive DAP.......
I'll get my coat....

LIK

Mar 28, 2020
Visit site
All smartphones are basically PC's these days. I use a PC to stream my music collection to my amp, the PC is set not to use the onboard DAC and volume is set to max, it is connected via coax lead to my streamer/DAC>amp. I'm assuming that this will be similar in your case. As Gray said max out the digital volume on the phone and use your amp to control the volume output.
hi

how do you get the PC to not use the on board DAC? where in the settings is this done?

cheers

D

Deleted member 188533

You connect the DAC via USB. Then by clicking the volume icon in Windows 10 you would be able to switch between onboard and any DAC's you may have plugged in. There is a limit to how well your motherboard will manage external devices. I get around that by using a powered USB hub.

Reactions: LIK

insider9

LG phones are the only ones aimed at audiophiles. The headphone amp/quad DAC in their higher end offerings are as good as any $300 device or stack. They basically add a flagship smartphone to a very good portable amp/DAC.
Indeed. There are also other phone that happen to sound good. Many Motos do and some Samsungs too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts