Digital or coaxal

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, which is the better interconect to use on a cd player to amp (cyrus xpd qx) marantz cd6003,

or would analouge conections be better, i know some will say try both, but havent picked up the amp yet and would like to get cables so i can set up when it arrives.

thanks

A

Anonymous

the cd player has a optical and digital coaxal output on the rear as well as analog outputs

A

Anonymous

The cyrus has a dac in, i was just wondering if anyone had experimented with analog and digital optical/coaxial to see which was better.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Yeah sorry firewire, i was getting a bit confused basically both co-ax & optical (toslink) are both the same, meaning neither one is better than the other.

A

Anonymous

but do you think analog or digital produces a better detialed sound. have you tried it ?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
slewis:Yeah sorry firewire, i was getting a bit confused basically both co-ax & optical (toslink) are both the same, meaning neither one is better than the other.

Optical cable uses light to transmit the signal, co-axial doesn't

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
firewire:but do you think analog or digital produces a better detialed sound. have you tried it ?

It sounds like you are referring to the 'digital in' connections as opposed to the 'digital outs' If this is the case then the digital is probably better as the signal will be using the cyrus' DAC

daveh75

firewire:but do you think analog or digital produces a better detialed sound. have you tried it ?You can't really compare analogue/digital cables.

What you would be compairing is the DAC in the CD player to the DAC in your amp! You really need to try these things for yourself as peoples opinions differ.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
slewis:
Optical & co-ax are both digital, rca/phono is analogue.

Anyway i'm outta here.

me too!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info on the signal transfer path, but which will give a better detailed sound,

has any one tried the comparison between analog and a digital optical and coaxal cable

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the info, just thought sombody might have tried it. il have to have a play with the the conections then and see which i prefer.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
firewire:
Thank you for the info, just thought sombody might have tried it. il have to have a play with the the conections then and see which i prefer.

Sorry firewire, totally misread what you were saying
emotion-10.gif
, I guess it's a case of what has the better DAC the cyrus or the marantz I would lean towards the cyrus myself in which case use the digital connections.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
the only difference you will hear is betwwen the dac in the cd player and the dac in the amp. i'll guess that the cyrus amp will sound better giving it has the qx module. therefor i would buy an optical cable as the light signal cant be interfered with by external electrical and radiowave influences. a basic cable will do the job fine, no need to go silly.

JohnnyV111

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The optical and coaxial digital outputs will output exactly the same numerical information. However, coaxial cables can conceivably suffer from interference. So whilst this is unlikely, you might as well go optical.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts