Digital audio cable for 12m length

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

(This is a also a followup to my earlier post, and I really appreciate all the replies. In a surprise development, involving the Missus, the whole audition process took a strange turn and I ended up buying a pair of Focal Chorus 836V with a Rotel RA-1520...)

Now the question: according to current plans, the amp will be co-located with the DAC (Dac Magic) which currently is imagined to be some 11-12m from the main music hosting desktop computer. I understand that for optical toslink that's rather a stretch. Is it? What about coaxial? Can you give any advice on what kind of cable to look for?

Thanks,

Tamas

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
"TOSLINK (i.e. optical) cables are usually limited to 5 meters in length, with a technical maximum of 10 meters, for reliable transmission without the use of a signal booster. However, it is very common for interfaces on newer consumer electronics (satellite receivers and PCs with optical outputs) to easily run over 30 meters on even low-cost ($0.75/m) TOSLINK cables."

Also, being plastic a long run isn't subject tp picking up interference in the same way as a COAX which has a copper core. You can pick up a 15m cable on Ebay for less the £20. Why not give it a go?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Alan

I was aware of the 5 meter "limitation" quote, that's why I have been wondering if it's a good idea to try the optical at all. Another issue is the bends: the 12m would be cable length along the wall including corners which then has to be solved. I can certainly give it a go though if you think it is good quality.

Cheers,

Tamas

A

Anonymous

I've run 15m toslink and its been fine.

An Airport Express is another option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts