Did you know?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
The ISS apparently smells of antiseptic, rubbish and body odour.

Oh, and air leaks are found by first isolating the individual unit, which is then sealed and tea leaves set loose. They drift to the site of the leak. How wonderfully low tech.

(The Sky at Night magazine.)
Gosh can you imagine, all that you've mentioned and someone FARTs....In space no one can hear you scream.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure I read somewhere that the American's spend thousands on developing a pen that would write in zero G... the Russians gave their cosmonaut's a pencil :)
To be fair, I understand that NASA was well aware of using a pencil but that has to be sharpened which can result in graphite dust which is conductive of electricity. In zero gravity this can get anywhere and could cause problems with sensitive equipment, hence why they spent so much on developing the pens.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
To be fair, I understand that NASA was well aware of using a pencil but that has to be sharpened which can result in graphite dust which is conductive of electricity. In zero gravity this can get anywhere and could cause problems with sensitive equipment, hence why they spent so much on developing the pens.
How about using a pencil sharpener that catches the shavings.

daveh75

It's a myth that NASA/US spent money developing the pens.

The founder of the company that produced the space pen actually developed and funded it off his own back.

Both the US and Russia then tested and adopted it for their respective missions.

Reactions: JDL

WayneKerr

It's a myth that NASA/US spent money developing the pens.

The founder of the company that produced the space pen actually developed and funded it off his own back.

Both the US and Russia then tested and adopted it for their respective missions.
I was aware of this and that it was Fisher who invented the pen adopted by both space agencies... I bet you're fun at parties :)

Reactions: JDL and Gray

DCarmi

Whilst on an extra -terrestrial theme...

Harrison Schmitt, one of the men on Apollo 17 was found to be allergic to the moon.... or at least moon dust. He suffered swelling of the nose and his voice changed. The dust settles on space suits and inhaled when they are removed.

Reactions: WayneKerr
The ISS apparently smells of antiseptic, rubbish and body odour.

Oh, and air leaks are found by first isolating the individual unit, which is then sealed and tea leaves set loose. They drift to the site of the leak. How wonderfully low tech.

(The Sky at Night magazine.)
Adding to the smell, it seems:

A question in Science Focus asked whether astronauts could propel themselves with farts. Chris Hadfield was asked this at an 'ask me anything' session in 2013 and his answer was that 'We've all tried it. Too muffled. Not the right type of propulsive nozzle.'

Reactions: Friesiansam

TRENDING THREADS