Did you know?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Friesiansam

If you are following another ship in orbit and want to catch up to dock, what do you do? Fire your engines to speed up, or slow down?

Might surprise some that the answer is the latter. A reduction in speed drops you into a lower orbit, which will mean you get around the moon or planet in les time, ergo you'll catch up. You can then speed up to, erm, slow down as it were.

Space is weird and wonderful.
On the other hand, the European Space Station, orbiting around 200 miles up, travels around the planet at about 17141 mph, whilst a satellite in geostationary orbit, around 32000 miles up, only travels at around 9400 mph.

Did you know today's snow is far too dangerous for the schools to open for the teachers and healthy young kids, but the snow is perfectly safe for hospitals to open for the nurses, old, infirm and sick. Incredible!
Having been a school governor, I can perhaps shed a little light. What happens if they open is that lots of parents end up being late (sometimes very much so) collecting their offspring. The kids can't make their way home (well, some can't - many wouldn't know what to do with their legs anyway), so the school ends up being an unpaid babysitter and staff can't go home. And if people don't go to hospital they might die - missing school ain't quite so consequential!

Reactions: nopiano

Friesiansam

Having been a school governor, I can perhaps shed a little light. What happens if they open is that lots of parents end up being late (sometimes very much so) collecting their offspring. The kids can't make their way home (well, some can't - many wouldn't know what to do with their legs anyway), so the school ends up being an unpaid babysitter and staff can't go home. And if people don't go to hospital they might die - missing school ain't quite so consequential!
When I were a lad, I lived on the Mendip Hills in Somerset and, went to school in Wells down below. One Winter the school closed early and we were just turned out, those of us living around 6 miles away up on the hill, just had to walk home. This was about 45 years ago, when kids were tough!!

Reactions: WayneKerr
When I were a lad, I lived on the Mendip Hills in Somerset and, went to school in Wells down below. One Winter the school closed early and we were just turned out, those of us living around 6 miles away up on the hill, just had to walk home. This was about 45 years ago, when kids were tough!!
Nowadays they almost all get ferried around, even if they live in what I would consider very comfortable walking distance.

WayneKerr

Interesting. I thought it was maybe to do with the litigation culture we have become... Johnnie broke his arm in the icy school playground... sue the school!

I can remember back back in my school days actively constructing skating rinks in the snow-covered playground... so many broken arms... it was a right of passage and no one sued :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DCarmi

Friesiansam

Apparently the most common broken bone is the clavicle (collar bone) - I'd have incorrectly guessed one in the arm. (From one of Sue Black's books.)
The most common broken bone injury in cycling accidents, is to the clavicle.

I did a great deal of cycling when I was younger, including time trialling. I had 3 accidents that involved broken bones, never broke a clavicle!

Reactions: Al ears

Friesiansam

One in my hand, and a fractured skull coming off a friend's Raleigh Chopper. Lethal machines - if you tried to turn too tightly, the front wheel could lock. Resulted in a bonce/kerb interface that I mercifully do not recall...
I managed to break, nose, right cheekbone, right ulna and 5th metatarsal in right hand, oh, and broke 2 front teeth. Apart from that I was fine...

Gray

One in my hand, and a fractured skull coming off a friend's Raleigh Chopper. Lethal machines - if you tried to turn too tightly, the front wheel could lock. Resulted in a bonce/kerb interface that I mercifully do not recall...
I managed to break, nose, right cheekbone, right ulna and 5th metatarsal in right hand, oh, and broke 2 front teeth. Apart from that I was fine...
You two have had your money's worth from the NHS 🤕

DCarmi

The centre of the galaxy smells of rum. Scientists have detected concentrations of ethyl formate, which gives rum its smell and raspberries their flavour.

They also detected propyl cyanide, so if you did indulge you'd be dead as a Dodo!

(As a bonus fact, scientists in the USA have sequenced the Dodo's genome and are planning attempt to recreate the Dodo by editing the genes of a close relative of the extinct bird.)

Reactions: WayneKerr
The centre of the galaxy smells of rum. Scientists have detected concentrations of ethyl formate, which gives rum its smell and raspberries their flavour.

They also detected propyl cyanide, so if you did indulge you'd be dead as a Dodo!
I fear that would be the last of your worries if you found yourself there!

The universe is a pretty hostile place. Reminds me of this, from Thing Explainer by Randall Munroe - the idea behind the book is to explain complex things in simple language - sticking to the most commonly used 1,000 words in the language. The last paragraph of this is about all the ways Venus would kill you!

Optimized-Venus.JPG

Reactions: Friesiansam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts