did you know you already have a 3d tv ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
its true , you just need a 3d bluray player , and a pair of polarizing glasses , and your there ..

the 3d bluray player shows 2 images on your tv , and the glasses turns them into a stereo image , just like watching avatar in the movies ..

so dont panic , dont fret , all you need for 3dtv is a player and glasses , right ??

A

Anonymous

hmmm , are any of us really sure ?? i do not see what differs between the lg passive 3d tvs and current 2d tvs ?? apart from the suspiciously unwarranted 1,4 hdmi ports . do you ??

Andrew Everard:No, wrong, as far as I understand it. The TV also needs a polarising filter on the screen for this to work as you say.

Strange. When I try to quote you, the sentence seems longer than mere 2 words....
emotion-3.gif
. I really should go to sleep now
emotion-20.gif

EDIT: I'm going crazy here; Andrew, did you not first answer "No, wrong"? Maybe you edited your post to elaborate.....

A

Anonymous

how did avatar work in the cinema then ?? no polarizing filter there , just a big white sheet of , well whatever its made of ..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:EDIT: I'm going crazy here; Andrew, did you not first answer "No, wrong"? Maybe you edited your post to elaborate.....

Yes, I did, but then I thought that was too blank an answer, so added the explanation.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
The screen in the cinema is white but the projectors used for 3D projection have the filters over the lenses. Also the LG passive 3D screens indeed have polarisation filters over the lcd surface. They display both images at the same time lining up the images for L/R eyes to the pixels on the surface that are polarised L/R. 3D Blu-rays have no polarisation information encoded on them, this is done in the tv on receipt of the signal.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:how did avatar work in the cinema then ?? no polarizing filter there , just a big white sheet of , well whatever its made of ..

...And images projected alternately with different polarisation, either with twin image sources or a lens able to switch polarisation. Oh, and a silvered screen. As I explained in my Technicolor blog report, the company has developed a split lens and polariser system enabling conventional 35mm film stock and projectors to be used to show 3D movies, in order to increase the number of cinemas able to show 3D movies. But again this involves polarisation and will give a lower image quality than dedicated 3D projection hardware.

A

Anonymous

well then surely 3d bluray players can be made , that include any filtering needed ? just as it is added in the cinema , couldnt it be added onto a tv screen ? why not ? i dont buy 3d working in a cinema , ancient tech and all , and not working on a normal tv , id say it could be done , maybe it will be ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, you're missing the point: the polarisation has to be done at the display point, whether that's on the TV screen or using the projection system, in order for it to work with the glasses.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The source can't produce polarized light (think about it, a Blu-ray player doesn't produce any light), that has to come from the screen (for a TV) or the projector. 2D TVs have no polarizing ability.

Polarized 3D works in the cinema because they replaced all the projectors where 3D is shown with new ones. That's why only certain screens will be showing 3D films.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:how did avatar work in the cinema then ?? no polarizing filter there , just a big white sheet of , well whatever its made of ..

...And images projected alternately with different polarisation, either with twin image sources or a lens able to switch polarisation. Oh, and a silvered screen. As I explained in my Technicolor blog report, the company has developed a split lens and polariser system enabling conventional 35mm film stock and projectors to be used to show 3D movies, in order to increase the number of cinemas able to show 3D movies. But again this involves polarisation and will give a lower image quality than dedicated 3D projection hardware.

but a player could do all of that for a tv , once there is a constant image on screen , not two images as in the active system , then i cant see how it couldnt be somehow portrayed on a regular tv , or , at the very least , why tvs couldnt just have a polarizing filter option , that you could choose when buying , at small cost , a passive 3d ready tv if you like , or even get retro fitted at small cost over your screen , 60in 3d kuro anyone ?? .. i understand the xtra cost is somewhat merited with the active system , but passive , arent we virtually there already ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And applying a polarising filter to the screen surface is just what is done in, for example, LG's passive 3D TVs. Trouble is, until recently, all the displays have had to be shipped to a single company in Japan to have the filter applied, then been shipped back to the manufacturer for assembly into a TV, hence the cost implications.

Of course some manufacturers are now working on ways of reducing this cost, but I think polarised screens will still be a premium priced option for a good while to come, and I don't see retrofittable filters being an option...

A

Anonymous

ok , that makes a bit more sense now , i doubt it would be a big job
for the tv makers to install such a filter on their current 2d screens
, but of course that will only cripple their active 3dtv sales , and
they dont want that ..
in 12 months time 3d wont cost much more
anyway imo , hopefully ..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:ok , that makes a bit more sense now , i doubt it would be a big job for the tv makers to install such a filter on their current 2d screens , but of course that will only cripple their active 3dtv sales , and they dont want that ..

Errr, that's pretty much what they are doing with their passive screens.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
maxflinn:ok , that makes a bit more sense now , i doubt it would be a big job for the tv makers to install such a filter on their current 2d screens , but of course that will only cripple their active 3dtv sales , and they dont want that ..

Errr, that's pretty much what they are doing with their passive screens.
yes but only lg , the rest are active only , which as we know is much more than a filter , a passive option from sony and panasonic would be far cheaper , like the lg passive sets ... lg are doing both , maybe a clever move ...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In fact the passive/polarised technology is more expensive than 'active shutter' at the moment in terms of pure screen cost, but has the advantage of much less expensive glasses.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts