Did I actually buy the wrong TV?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It’s occurred to me this morning that regardless of the problems I have had with my Panasonic 50GT50 that I may have purchased the completely wrong TV based on what I actually want to use it for!

As you all know gaming is very hi on my list of priorities for a TV and perhaps the low input lag and great picture (when it doesn’t show a fault) clouded my judgement. For the first time today as Batman Arkham City arrived through the post I suddenly thought ‘oh dear’. I have 4 3D games, Mortal Kombat, Killzone 3, Uncharted 3 and now Batman, none of which have been played yet! Giving my recent issues with image retention and the fact that 3D cranks up the contrast I’m beginning to think 3D gaming might not be such a wise idea on a Plasma TV. What are the chances of me completely killing my screen with image retention, or perhaps worse screen burn if I start gaming on it? Lets face it I can’t exactly game for 30 minutes and then spend hours running the rolling screen to clear it can I!

I can't say for Panasonic, but I've had no problems playing games on my Kuro, sometimes upto 7 hours at a stretch.

Plasmas were more suited for gaming those days due to superior input lag and inherently better motion control. LED lit LCDs have caught up with plasmas in these areas now (not convinced about motion processing yet though). IR or screen burn hasn't been a problem on my plasma.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
cheers bigboss,

I never once had issues with IR on my G20, which is why I then stuck with Plasma for my second TV. My first GT50 had bad IR, my second GT50 appears to be ok for Ir but this is basic gaming, 3D gaming cranks up the contrast and this is my concern. I tried trying it to be honest!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
cousins been playing PS4 on his 65VT65 - no issuies at all so far he has said - not been playing in 3D though.

There is no need to run the TV full blast for 3D.

I would use these settings if the set is uncalibrated using the panny glasses

Picture Normal

Brightness +7

Colour 54

Contrast 70ish

Panel luminance medium if you can, high if you have to - depends on the content / game

Gamma 2.2

Like this its not running any harder than tv

D

Deleted member 2457

I think it is popluck with some of the ranges for Panasonic plasmas.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
cousins been playing PS4 on his 65VT65 - no issuies at all so far he has said - not been playing in 3D though.

Picture Normal

Brightness +7

Colour 54

Contrast 70ish

Panel luminance medium if you can, high if you have to - depends on the content / game

Gamma 2.2

cheers ellisdj, I'll try these and see, ta

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
ellisdj said:

Picture Normal

Brightness +7

Colour 54

Contrast 70ish

Gamma 2.2

Thats only rough - I was watching Pacific Rim in 3D on my cousin the other day with settings like that. Other 3D needed more zing however games can be bright or can be dark so thats why I said content based.

Dont forget to put your hdmi setting to full range for gaming

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I think it is popluck with some of the ranges for Panasonic plasmas.

You're entering the panel lottery whatever manufacturer or technology you choose.

If you buy an LED TV, you're gambling with uniformity issues such as clouding and torching. As we've seen, Panasonic plasmas, from the 30 series onwards, have suffered with blobs, bands, and other screen uniformity issues.

Statistical evidence suggests that TVs have improved over time, but screen uniformity has become worse in the last few years.

Edge lighting is an awful way to illuminate a screen, but allows for slimmer designs. I'm not sure why plasma uniformity has taken a backward slide. It may be a combination of cost-cutting, poor quality control, and efforts to push plasma technology to its absolute limits.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest you download and burn this onto a dvd.

Or you could use this and burn it as an image onto a DVD.

Use the black levels test pattern on the basic tests on the Masciator Disc cant remember where is on the AVS disc but will be easy to find.

Set your brightness level using that - you might not need +7Its easy and there is instruction on the pattern

Hope that helps

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
rocketrazor said:
ellisdj said:

Picture Normal

Brightness +7

Colour 54

Contrast 70ish

Gamma 2.2

Thats only rough - I was watching Pacific Rim in 3D on my cousin the other day with settings like that. Other 3D needed more zing however games can be bright or can be dark so thats why I said content based.

Dont forget to put your hdmi setting to full range for gaming

what do you mean by 'hdmi setting to full range for gaming'.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you dont have it on the 50 range also my previous settings are for the 65 panny range they might not be any good for you on the 50 range. I didnt see that was your set b4 sorry.

In your menu you should have hdmi range settings - you want limited for tv blu ray etc and full range for gaming.

full range is full rbg 0-256 - limited is 16-256. on the ps4 it looks much better full range on the 65 Pannys so I am sure will do on the 50 range as well

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
not from an Iso which I think they both are - maybe it will never tried it.

Make life easier if it does

I have the AVS patterns on flash drive and my VT plays them without problems. This may be different with other TVs.

As you say, it's the easier solution, as long as your TV can play them.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My son had my gt30 of off me who does alot of gaming i advised him to be careful with this tv because of the issues with panasonic plasmas but sadly my son did not take head and now has permenent image retention and screen burn so basicaly the tv is screwed on the other hand i have just purchased the samsung f6800 backlit led tv and it is perfect no issues with backlight bleed or screen uniformarty and considering its not one of samsungs top led the black levels are pretty decent i would say better then my now clapped out panasonic plasma :)

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Maybe you dont have it on the 50 range also my previous settings are for the 65 panny range they might not be any good for you on the 50 range. I didnt see that was your set b4 sorry.

In your menu you should have hdmi range settings - you want limited for tv blu ray etc and full range for gaming.

full range is full rbg 0-256 - limited is 16-256. on the ps4 it looks much better full range on the 65 Pannys so I am sure will do on the 50 range as well

dont think I have that option on the gt50

T

theflyingwasp

I think my friend you really have got the s$¥t end of the stick here! I played 3d games ( a lot of kill zone 3 )on my gt before and after calibration aswell as normal games then back to movies with no screen defects.i think there is an input lag chart on cnet and I think the panasonic did ok ish? The ZT is 6-10th I think.

i really don't know what I would do in your situation I can't get better than what I've already got but if I was a couple of ranges down at my max budget I would have changed to Samsung or lg for a plasma.

i just checked panasonic had 5 tvs in the first 16 of cnets input lag chart.maybe you should switch to the Sony kdl55 tvs - check it out.id post a link to both cnet and the tv but I'm useless with computers :)

TRENDING THREADS