Diamond 9.1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I really dont know how to ask this but let me try...

a couple of years ago, ms 912i dethroned diamond 9.1 as the budget speaker of choice. Is it because of cost or performance? if hypothetically, the wharfedale diamond 9.1 only costs £70 brand new, do you think ms avant 912i would have edged it out review-wise?

Thanks,

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd argue the Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom are our budget speaker of choice - hence them being the Award-winner in that price category! Corking value.

But yes, price comes into it: a pair of new Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers for £70 would crush all the competition at that price-point - they remain excellent five-star speakers.

They have a different sonic signature to the Mordaunt Shorts, too - they're a slightly more laidback listen than the Avant 912i's up-and-at-'em style. So, even at the same list price (£150) you may prefer the Diamonds.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your response.

BTW, Any plans of reviewing the 9.2 as you did the 8.2 back in the day? Regards

John Duncan

For £70, everyone should have a pair just lying around for parties and such like
emotion-2.gif

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Eltax Symphony 6's floorstanders are also good for that. Non-trendy and so go for £25 on ebay, but sound really nice - even if depth of detail isn't their greatest asset!

(Yes, I have a pair in my 2nd system!)

But to come back on track, the 9.1s are a great little speaker. At £70 I'd be tempted to get a pair for my conservatory.

Markm - was the £70 truely hypothetical, or did you see them somewhere for that?
emotion-5.gif

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Diamond 9.1 is great. It is a bookshelf speaker. You will need to buy a pair of stand. This stand should also be included in your budget comparable to floostander like MS914, Mission M33i ..
emotion-43.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:There were some new pairs for 65 quid on eBay recently, if I recall.

Aye, I got a set. £65 brand new and unopened. He had 15 boxes. TBH I reckon they were off the back of a lorry but hey ho.

I'f i'd had the cash at the time I'd have bought the whole lot off him.

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast: Markm - was the £70 truely hypothetical, or did you see them somewhere for that?
emotion-5.gif

Some on Ebay sealed/bnew as other memebers have mentioned. :)

Anyone going to the olympics? Im guessing you might find many award winning gears there brand new at half the price (since it is made there).

Back to wharfdales, thanks for all your inputs. Any additions would be welcome. I am however intrigued that the 9.2 has gone below the radar drawing very little attention.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts