Devialet

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
For anyone who cares, there is a relatively new (it wasn't there when I walked past a short while ago) Devialet 'shop' in the shopping centre under Canary Wharf.

They have demo rooms and a rather nice cut away working display model in the window. I didn't have time to find out how the speakers sounded, but the build quality of the cut away model was first class.

Also of intererst (to me anyway) there is a Tesla 'shop' in the same complex.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
andyjm said:
For anyone who cares, there is a relatively new (it wasn't there when I walked past a short while ago) Devialet 'shop' in the shopping centre under Canary Wharf.

They have demo rooms and a rather nice cut away working display model in the window. I didn't have time to find out how the speakers sounded, but the build quality of the cut away model was first class.

I visited the one in Paris some time ago. The staff were very helpful and accommodating when I asked to hear a Phantom. I don’t understand why Devialet are pushing their Phantoms like crazy when they clearly don’t sound anywhere near as good as their amplifiers with some decent speakers.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
andyjm said:

They have demo rooms and a rather nice cut away working display model in the window.  I didn't have time to find out how the speakers sounded, but the build quality of the cut away model was first class. 

Also of intererst (to me anyway) there is a Tesla 'shop' in the same complex.

I visited the one in Paris some time ago. The staff were very helpful and accommodating when I asked to hear a Phantom. I don’t understand why Devialet are pushing their Phantoms like crazy when they clearly don’t sound anywhere near as good as their amplifiers with some decent speakers. 

The phantoms will be the future of home audio. And the next gen can't be too bothered with too many boxes just for music. Hence the marketing push I guess.

Besides, people not accustomed to proper hifi, are falling for the phantom's magic. Either phantoms or something from B&O for them. And the phantoms are the cheaper options.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
andyjm said:

I visited the one in Paris some time ago. The staff were very helpful and accommodating when I asked to hear a Phantom. I don’t understand why Devialet are pushing their Phantoms like crazy when they clearly don’t sound anywhere near as good as their amplifiers with some decent speakers.

The phantoms will be the future of home audio. And the next gen can't be too bothered with too many boxes just for music. Hence the marketing push I guess.

Besides, people not accustomed to proper hifi, are falling for the phantom's magic. Either phantoms or something from B&O for them. And the phantoms are the cheaper options.

I know. They sound like HiFi.

Such a pity.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
andyjm said:

Such a pity.

They also sound like a hot water boiler in standby. Also a pity. Tick...tick...tick...zzzzzrrrrrrr...zzzzzzrrrrrrr...shhhhh...shhhhh... well worth £18K. Not.

According to their customer services department it is down to ferrites, part of the design so get over it. Hmmm...

Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
andyjm said:

Such a pity.

They also sound like a hot water boiler in standby. Also a pity. Tick...tick...tick...zzzzzrrrrrrr...zzzzzzrrrrrrr...shhhhh...shhhhh... well worth £18K. Not.

According to their customer services department it is down to ferrites, part of the design so get over it. Hmmm...
As you know, I heard the original Devialet amp, and have encountered a few of the newer iterations too. Each time they seem ‘perfect’ in the sense of imposing nothing on the music, rather like Quad’s “straight wire with gain” ideal.

Their diversion into all these lifestyle Phantoms leaves me cold, and I’m sure that’s where the real money is to be made. But it has diluted my interest in the amps. Were my Premium Bond to come up, I’d be looking more at the pedigree types:- Audio Research, Mark Levinson, d’Agostino, and so on, whereas a few years ago Devialet would’ve been my first port of call.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Went blind again, going by the reviews. But the phantoms sure give a more lifestyle twist to the brand than Hifi.

And their sounding like ghetto blasters. To those accustomed to Hifi, is a sure turn off for the purists.

And their upgrade program has left many owners disappointed. And there are also complaints of neglect from the brand on their forums. A lot of devialet amp owners are skipping boat and changing to traditional Hifi brands. So devialets challenge will be creating brand loyalty, which they have fared very poorly at, so far.

Considering their start on the wrong foot, they are rightly targeting non Hifi customers with the promise of hi end sound in a small package.

The devialet was all the rave when it launched in 2011. But not so much now.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
andyjm said:

They have demo rooms and a rather nice cut away working display model in the window.  I didn't have time to find out how the speakers sounded, but the build quality of the cut away model was first class. 

Also of intererst (to me anyway) there is a Tesla 'shop' in the same complex.

I visited the one in Paris some time ago. The staff were very helpful and accommodating when I asked to hear a Phantom. I don’t understand why Devialet are pushing their Phantoms like crazy when they clearly don’t sound anywhere near as good as their amplifiers with some decent speakers. 

Such a pity. 

As you know, I heard the original Devialet amp, and have encountered a few of the newer iterations too.  Each time they seem ‘perfect’ in the sense of imposing nothing on the music, rather like Quad’s “straight wire with gain” ideal.  

Their diversion into all these lifestyle Phantoms leaves me cold, and I’m sure that’s where the real money is to be made. But it has diluted my interest in the amps.  Were my Premium Bond to come up, I’d be looking more at the pedigree types:- Audio Research, Mark Levinson, d’Agostino, and so on, whereas a few years ago Devialet would’ve been my first port of call. 

Your amp would be stuck in the back of your scm150asls out of sight

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
andyjm said:

Such a pity.

As you know, I heard the original Devialet amp, and have encountered a few of the newer iterations too. Each time they seem ‘perfect’ in the sense of imposing nothing on the music, rather like Quad’s “straight wire with gain” ideal.

Their diversion into all these lifestyle Phantoms leaves me cold, and I’m sure that’s where the real money is to be made. But it has diluted my interest in the amps. Were my Premium Bond to come up, I’d be looking more at the pedigree types:- Audio Research, Mark Levinson, d’Agostino, and so on, whereas a few years ago Devialet would’ve been my first port of call.

Your amp would be stuck in the back of your scm150asls out of sight
Ok, maybe you’re right! :) Unless I went for those Wilson Audio speakers too!?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davidf said:
newlash09 said:
The devialet was all the rave when it launched in 2011. But not so much now.
It was something relatively new and looked unique. The novelty hs wearing off.

Perhaps the novelty is wearing off a little, but I didn’t buy mine for its novelty. I bought it for it’s sound quality which is still superb.

Given the choice again, I would still buy one although the Nu Vista 800 comes close.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Infiniteloop said:
newlash09 said:
Infiniteloop said:
andyjm said:

Such a pity.

Mine has always been totally quiet. I’m sorry you had such a disagreeable experience with yours.

Infiniteloop said:
Perhaps the novelty is wearing off a little, but I didn’t buy mine for its novelty. I bought it for it’s sound quality which is still superb.

Given the choice again, I would still buy one although the Nu Vista 800 comes close.
But you have the amps, rather than the wireless/Bluetooth speaker, which seems to now be the focus of their advertising/promotions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts