Devialet Phanton 900 vs Kef LSWX

chenZi

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
In the market for a pair of active speakers for my work office setup. Currently have a couple of Sonos One for stereo in my office. Phantom 900 is available at a deal price of $999 ( X2 for the stereo) and KEF LSWX is available at $1800 while LSX is at $1200. My budget is up to $2500. I do not have a lot of space on my desk to have a traditional passive system / larger system. Apart from music, the system will also be used with my Macbook as an external speaker and for playing Switch with kids. Please let me know your thoughts!

I’ve heard the original Phantom Gold and both LS50 wireless and LSX. To me the KEFs sounded more like traditional Hifi, though the smaller X is obviously better as a desktop system whereas the 50s will fill a room. The Devialet sounded forced to me, though undoubtedly an impressive piece of engineering.
I would also think about whether they’ll be well supported a few years down the road, but I appreciate you may not mind about that.

Reactions: chenZi

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Definitely avoid the phantoms which will distort at high volume. Admitedly loud. People were Walking out of a demo when happening once. I do not think you will find anything better than the kef model speakers. They are consistently regarded as amongst the best for powered small actives with active crossover design. I reviewed the lsx on my site 13th note and I agree with what HiFi‘s view . I think the ls50w might be a bit too powerful for a desk with close listening, so you could be wasting money, lsx are more than gutsy enough, unless your desk is like a bond villains.

one issue with the lsx and LS50w speakers is the app is sometimes poor. My Lsx speakers kept falling out of the network using the app, whilst everything else didn’t. What HiFi mentioned this and people contacted me about it. So I’d maybe recommend adding a streamer like the Bluesound node 2i (which is terrific for the money) and use it into the digital input. You want to be aware sound is better if you tether them with Ethernet cable You get in the box which shouldn’t be an issue if you are desking them,

Last edited:
Reactions: chenZi

Jimboo

Wow , that's weird. I distinctly remember in a pm with you asking why you didn't mention how bad the Kef apps were. What hifi glossed over the issues also.
I think Kef should just dump their app development team and get it right.
I was aware of the issues after watching the sweat run down the dealers face during setup. Spotify is fine for my needs. Not good for Kef is it to advertise a complete system with streamer and full tidal compatibility when any review by actual owners on the net clearly states it isn't the case. At this moment in time if streaming is your bag then spending the money Kef want from you and then to need to obtain a separate streamer kinda defeats their and the reviewers blurb.

D

Deleted member 188516

Definitely avoid the phantoms which will distort at high volume. Admitedly loud. People were Walking out of a demo when happening once. I do not think you will find anything better than the kef model speakers. They are consistently regarded as amongst the best for powered small actives with active crossover design. I reviewed the lsx on my site 13th note and I agree with what HiFi‘s view . I think the ls50w might be a bit too powerful for a desk with close listening, so you could be wasting money, lsx are more than gutsy enough, unless your desk is like a bond villains.

one issue with the lsx and LS50w speakers is the app is sometimes poor. My Lsx speakers kept falling out of the network using the app, whilst everything else didn’t. What HiFi mentioned this and people contacted me about it. So I’d maybe recommend adding a streamer like the Bluesound node 2i (which is terrific for the money) and use it into the digital input. You want to be aware sound is better if you tether them with Ethernet cable You get in the box which shouldn’t be an issue if you are desking them,

may i ask did you test your lsx speakers with a cd player plugged direct to them ?

if yes which connection method / cable did you use and how did it compare from plugging the cd player into a traditional amp / passive speaker set up ?

here is the article / review :-

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
may i ask did you test your lsx speakers with a cd player plugged direct to them ?

if yes which connection method / cable did you use and how did it compare from plugging the cd player into a traditional amp / passive speaker set up ?

here is the article / review :-

didnt do the CD player comparison but the lsx are very good for money. I don’t think you’d get as good with spending on amp and speakers for a grand, because of active x over set up and amps tailored to drivers. The falling out of the speakers in kef control App is very annoying. The front light shows the speakers are on the network but the app doesn't work sometimes. It’s very fickle. For me it was when turning the router off at night. When I asked KEF, they didn’t mention what the issue is. I hope they sort it.

D

Deleted member 188516

didnt do the CD player comparison but the lsx are very good for money. I don’t think you’d get as good with spending on amp and speakers for a grand, because of active x over set up and amps tailored to drivers. The falling out of the speakers in kef control App is very annoying. The front light shows the speakers are on the network but the app doesn't work sometimes. It’s very fickle. For me it was when turning the router off at night. When I asked KEF, they didn’t mention what the issue is. I hope they sort it.

thanks for the reply.

do you think for 1k you could get an even better pair of actives (minus the app features and simply amp and speaker combined such as the avi dm5 for example) or are the kef product really punching above their weight sound quality wise ?

D

Deleted member 188516

Op , I have owned the LS50W for two years. I will be happy to give you any advice based on my actual ownership.

may i ask do you use a cd player with your ls50w and, if yes, do you connect via the analogue or digital option ?

D

Deleted member 188516

I do, an audiolab transport via optical.

thanks for the reply.

i asked as i wondered if there would be any big difference, sound quality wise, connecting via the analogue / rca option (using a cd players own dac) and the digital optical option (using the ls50w's dac).

i'm guessing kef selected the best dac, along the same lines as the best amps, to match the drive units then.

Jimboo

thanks for the reply.

i asked as i wondered if there would be any big difference, sound quality wise, connecting via the analogue / rca option (using a cd players own dac) and the digital optical option (using the ls50w's dac).

i'm guessing kef selected the best dac, along the same lines as the best amps, to match the drive units then.
I think the Kef DAC controls everything and cannot be over ridden so to speak. The analogue is for the phono stage in my case. I like their sound but appreciate it may not be for all.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I think the Kef DAC controls everything and cannot be over ridden so to speak. The analogue is for the phono stage in my case. I like their sound but appreciate it may not be for all.

it can be as the lsx and ls50w have analogue to digital conversion, being opposite of a DAC and for the analogue input, as the active crossover is in the digital domain with this speaker. Which sounds better?, I don’t know. I suspect keeping in digital to avoid degradation in swapping back and forth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts